Learning BOM while BF...baby is here!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies. So I had my little girl on the 9th after 24 hrs. of labor. I'm breastfeeding but will be pumping as well in a few weeks. My question is when do I start actually charting? After my postpartum bleeding stops? Now? Am I supposed to not have sex and chart for a month after bleeding stops or just start after the 6 postpartum weeks are up? Thanks!
OH, SavaAngel, I noticed in another post you started charting while breastfeeding. ANY tips, advice?? I really do not want to end up pregnant again and while I'll be getting my instructor and think I understand the rules pretty well, I'm super nervous about all this
June 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Welcome to your little girl!

I learned BOM while BFing too (before I was a teacher, obviously) and have taught many BFing women too. The thing that was most helpful to me was having my instructor walk me through it all. I was very nervous about getting pregnant again (#2 came only 12 months after #1). It worked perfectly until we were ready to TTC #3.

As long as you are fully breastfeeding (no pumping), you can consider yourself infertile and don't need to worry about charting for the first 56 days. After 56 days, you can only consider yourself infertile as long as there is no more spotting or bleeding and only if you are still fully breastfeeding.

You can start charting (and abstaining) as soon as you begin pumping. This is because you won't be covered by breastfeeding infertility once you start pumping. The 2-4 weeks of charting will allow you to establish your post partum BIP so you can start using the rules.
June 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Yes, I began learning BOM when my son was 8 months old - still breastfed, still getting up at night for at least one feeding. At that point he was getting 1 bottle of formula anywhere between one a day to one every few days.

All that being said - be prepared for innovatory cycles. I didn't actually ovulate until my son was a year old (and had stopped breastfeeding). Trust your teacher - I for sure thought I was ovulating, but now I know better (2 years later). Oh, I also put on my chart how many times I breastfed my son a day and if he got a bottle of formula (or pumped milk but that was almost never cause my pump was manual). Ask lots of questions, that is how you learn afterall!

Good Luck! I am sure you will do great!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

June 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! Very helpful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search