New

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Hi. My name is Melba. I have a few mommies in my PR who love NFP, and I have given it some thought myself.

A little background on me.

In May of 2006, I was raped. While I was in the hospital having the drs and nurses collect evidence, they gave me a lot of meds to prevent pregnancy, STDs, HIV, and all. After all this, my body was never the same, period-wise. I didnt have my period for about 3 months or so. And then when I finally got it, it went on for weeks and months. I would bleed so heavily I had to go to the ER one time because I was going through too many pads in one hour. I would pass really big clots and had to keep lots of spare clothes in my car while I was at work. My hormones were out of control. I was always angry, and had horrible mood swings. I tried getting on the pill, per the ER drs advice and it was Yasmin. But at that time, it was so expensive so I had to stop taking it. So more bleeding. I got back on another pill at a county clinic and they could only give me Ortho. Didnt help at all. My hubby and I got pregnant in Oct of 2006 but had a miscarriage at 12 weeks in January, so more bleeding. We finally had had enough for my constant bleeding that we made an appt with an Endocronoligist. But by then, we were pregnant again, with our daughter, so he couldnt do anything. I told my OB my entire history and he said that he was going to put me on Loestrin FE after I was done breastfeeding my daughter. 10 refills later and no medical insurance, I'm out. The Loestrin makes my periods easier. No constant bleedings like usual. I do have some mood swings and we are NOT TTC#2 anytime soon.

Another mommie in my PR and I were on the same BCP and she is now doing NFP and loves it. I am scared to try it because of my wacky periods.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
June 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with so much frustration with your cycles.

One thought I'm going to present to you is that when something is wrong with your hormones or reproductive system, the BCP doesn't actually fix any of it. It just covers up the problem for awhile, but as you've seen - the problem is still there when you come off. NFP will not fix the problem either, but what it can do is reveal a lot about what your hormones are doing - to make it easier for NFP-aware physicians to identify and treat the actual problem. The NFP chart can be used as a jumping-off point for medical investigations. Constant bleeding does indicate that something is off.

I think NFP is a good option because it doesn't carry any of the health risks that the BCP does and there are no on-going costs after the initial learning period. But it's also important that someone gets to the bottom of what's making you bleed so much. Physicians who specialize in NFP are especially good at this. If you need any help finding one, don't hesitate to ask! Texas has some really good ones (especially if you are near San Antonio, there's a great RE there who specializes in NFP!)
June 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Julka
Hi, Melba! It's good to see you here. I really hope you figure out what's causing all the problems, hon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search