Does This Sound Right?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's been 5 wks since I had my baby and I've been spotting a very small amt. for the past week and a half. I start out every day dry all day and then have the small spotting in the evening. I feel dry all day except when I have the spotting...during that time I feel wet. My instructor said since it's been almost 2 weeks of the same thing that for now it's looking like my BIP so me and hubs could go ahead and have sex on alternating evenings etc. Does that sound right? I thought if there was bleeding and I felt wet I shouldn't...? Is it because it's been the same for a long enough period of time?
July 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
That is a question for Shawna. LOL Good Luck though!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

July 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Where is Shawna?? I'm confused!!
July 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I thought she was back from her camping trip.....I don't know where she is.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

July 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry guys, we went camping again! Back now.

Benandali, NO!!! Spotting cannot be included in your BIP! It must be considered potentially fertile now that you are past 56 days post partum. The BIP can include an unchanging discharge pattern only, spotting is not discharge.
July 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hey Shawna...thanks. Actually my baby is only 6 wks old now so it's not past the 56 days. Does that make a difference??
July 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Oops, I thought I read 8 weeks. If you're only 5 weeks, then that makes a difference. If you meet the conditions for LAM, then you don't have to start following any rules yet. Spotting prior to 56 days post partum, if you meet the conditions for LAM, is still part of your lochia and not related to fertility. If you do not meet the conditions for LAM, then you need to follow the rules. You would consider spotting potentially fertile as per the third Early Day Rule.

LAM Conditions:
1. Baby gets all nutrition at the breast (no bottles, no pumping)
2. No spotting or bleeding after 56 days post partum
3. Baby is under 6 months of age

As long as you meet these conditions, the chance of pregnancy is only 2%. You can begin charting to establish your BIP, but there is no need to follow the rules while LAM is in effect. Once any of those 3 conditions is no longer met, time to apply the rules.

Does that make sense?
July 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah....that's kinda what I was thinking. I am pumping so that hubby can feed her once at night....so I don't qualify for LAM. Therefore, until all this spotting stops (which is seeming like NEVER) I need to keep following the rules. Now, if I only pumped w/ my first and still didn't get a period until about 7 months after, is it more likely that it will take just as long w/ this one? She is actually nursing for most feeds. My instructor said I would probably be about the same this time around.
July 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
So because I don't qualify for LAM, the spotting I am having isn't considered lochia??? Or is it still considered post partum bleeding but could be hiding fertile signs??

Last edited by benandali; July 21st, 2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: posted twice
July 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Because of the pumping, you're right - this spotting has to be considered potentially fertile (Early Day Rule #3). It could just be lochia, but it could also be a sign of fluctuating hormones related to the return of fertility already. There's no way to know which it is once you no longer qualify for LAM, so we err on the side of caution and treat it as potentially fertile.

Just like every pregnancy is different, every post partum return to fertility is different. Your fertility might return around the same time as your first, or it could be quite different - make NO assumptions about that. I've had my fertility return as early as 3 months (while BFing) and as late as 9 months (also while BFing). So take each day as it happens. Hopefully that spotting stops soon! It's sure annoying. I always get it for the full 8 weeks after birth, grrrr.

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; July 21st, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
July 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
THANKS! You are so helpful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search