Do I still qualify for LAM?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went two days earlier this week where I couldn't nurse and had to pump and dump (I had stored bm i fed him)

The baby also started sleeping through the night at that time. So I was going 8 plus hours without nursing/pumping. But we resumed normal demand bfing after like 36 hours.

Also...if I was to drop a nursing session and replace it with a pumped bottle, but a bottle I had pumped earlier that day (or the day before). would that cause fertility to return?
August 18th, 2009, 05:37 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately, no LAM. It's the stimulation from the suckling that suppresses your fertility, not the removal of of milk. A mechanical pump just doesn't offer the same stimulation as suckling does - so LAM is over once baby gets a bottle instead of suckling for a feeding or two (or more). Amazing that our bodies know the difference, but they do.
August 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
thanks...it is strange that the body would know the difference. lol.
August 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Hey Shawna, does it count if you like just top off with the pump? Like if you fed your baby and then afterwards pumped? Like when people try to increase their supply with the pump by pumping after feeding, does that still qualify you?

August 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
Hey Shawna, does it count if you like just top off with the pump? Like if you fed your baby and then afterwards pumped? Like when people try to increase their supply with the pump by pumping after feeding, does that still qualify you?
That's fine because baby is still getting all their nourishment from suckling. It's when you start replacing suckling for pumping that it affects LAM.
August 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
okay so is it really subjective as to how much that affects a person? Like, is it almost garunteed that fertility will return now that I went that long without nursing and he's been sleeping overnight? Or is it still probable I'll continue without fertility returning but since you just never know it's not effective as bc anymore...

if that makes sense.
August 18th, 2009, 09:31 PM
She answered one similar to this for me a few months ago. Fertility is individual and you may go through fertile periods several times before you actually have your body return to ovulating and having periods and all that fun jazz. I have done that several times. I'm nearly 5 months postpartum now. I have what I think is finally going to be pre-ovulation stuff. I've had fertile phases several times before this, but none that have increased this much and lasted this long, so I'm expecting this to be it...

August 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snlemon View Post
okay so is it really subjective as to how much that affects a person? Like, is it almost garunteed that fertility will return now that I went that long without nursing and he's been sleeping overnight? Or is it still probable I'll continue without fertility returning but since you just never know it's not effective as bc anymore...

if that makes sense.
No, it doesn't automatically mean your fertility is going to return right now. It just means you can't rely on the 98% of LAM anymore. Instead of being covered by LAM, you have to confirm breastfeeding infertility through daily charting. You might still have several months of BF infertility, or you might return to fertility right away. It can go either way once LAM is over. Each baby is different, because each one suckles differently. I've fully nursed 4 of mine and returned to fertiltiy as early as 3 months (conceived) and as late as 7 months. Once LAM is over, it's simply time to begin charting CM for 2-4 weeks to see if you have a Basic Infertile Pattern or if you're showing signs of fertility already. It's pretty common for nursing Moms to have an unchanging infertile discharge, which is what the Basic Infertile Pattern is. To be confident about telling the different between infertile discharge and fertile mucus, it really helps to have a teacher because that part can be a bit confusing when you're first trying to figure it out. Each woman is unique, so your patterns of fertility/infertility can be quite different from another woman's patterns.
August 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
thank youso much
August 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first, I ONLY pumped for about 9 months...my son would not nurse once he had tried a bottle. I had my first period after 7 months, and got pregnant the cycle after that! I'm hoping that this time around, since my daughter nurses for all but one feeding, it will stay away longer!
August 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM
GL! I hate periods...I could go without mine for a while and be just fine, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search