New here and a little flustered...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello. I was recommended to come over here from the fertility charting board. my DH and I arent ready to TTC yet but I'd prefer to prevent things the natural way. We've been married for almost 7 months and havent used anything repetitively. Neither of us like condoms and so we've primarily just been using W/D. Anyways I am supposed to go to the dr soon and we both kind of agreed to do something more stable I guess you could say. I ran across NFP and I really liked the idea of doing things the natural way, not having to take a pill and put excess hormones into my body. Plus I am a religious person, and I believe that when it's God's time for us to have a baby no BCP will stop it, so I'd rather not have that in my body if his timing is sooner than ours... Anyways, I explained it a little to my DH yesterday and he seemed skeptical, he said if it works then sure. But then went on to suggest that I just get an IUD so I wont have to deal with hormones, taking a pill everyday, and wouldnt have the hassle of charting and temp taking... grr! I personally dont like them, I think it just takes the whole spontanaety out of having a baby, you have to PLAN strictly and if I were to get pg with and IUD I dont think it would end well... Anyways I'm just frustrated and wondering how I can explain this to where he would be open to it. IDK if he just doesnt have that much faith in me getting it right or if he just wants something more solid... Anyways just thought I'd introduce myself and any advice would be much appreciated.

August 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!!!

Lots of guys are skeptical at first (heck, lots of women are too!) I would highly recommend having him attend an NFP class with you, so he can see the science of it for himself. Ask him if he'd be willing to do that so you can make this decision with ALL the accurate information about it. Taking the class doesn't mean you have to commit to NFP, it can just be part of the research you do before making up your minds. To be confident with NFP, it's really important to learn it thoroughly anyway and that's something couples should do together. The information will be useful to you because you can use it both ways, to avoid or to achieve pregnancy when you are ready.

Also, does your DH know that the IUD causes early miscarriages? It doesn't just prevent pregnancy, but it also interrupts pregnancy if conception happens to occur. It irritates the lining of the uterus so that the baby can't implant and is flushed out with your next period. Is he ok with that? That's something you should be sure to discuss.
August 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Welcome! I can't offer anymore than Shawna has. My DH was skeptical too, but a year later he was proven that it can work to avoid.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
Welcome!!!

Lots of guys are skeptical at first (heck, lots of women are too!) I would highly recommend having him attend an NFP class with you, so he can see the science of it for himself. Ask him if he'd be willing to do that so you can make this decision with ALL the accurate information about it. Taking the class doesn't mean you have to commit to NFP, it can just be part of the research you do before making up your minds. To be confident with NFP, it's really important to learn it thoroughly anyway and that's something couples should do together. The information will be useful to you because you can use it both ways, to avoid or to achieve pregnancy when you are ready.

Also, does your DH know that the IUD causes early miscarriages? It doesn't just prevent pregnancy, but it also interrupts pregnancy if conception happens to occur. It irritates the lining of the uterus so that the baby can't implant and is flushed out with your next period. Is he ok with that? That's something you should be sure to discuss.
That's a big reason why I'm against an IUD is because of that! Lots of medical ppl say it just irritates the sperm but I knew better! My best friend in high school, her mom got pg with an IUD so it's not impossible.. I'll have to see if we have any classes in our area (we live in a small town) but at the least get both of us educated on it!

August 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I just recently started using NFP. It's going GREAT so far! I use the Billings Method so NO temping involved. Just charting every evening is all. It's been fantastic and my husband and I have honestly had a closer relationship than we have had in about 2 years!!! There's just no stress involved with it at all.
August 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Welcome, NFP is really wonderful!

August 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleofdanielseye View Post
I'll have to see if we have any classes in our area (we live in a small town) but at the least get both of us educated on it!
If you need any help with that, don't hesitate to PM me. I can see what's in your area.
August 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks so much ladies for the advice! I will look into both methods of NFP! Your advice and support has helped so much! )

September 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hey, just wondering how you are doing! How is the decision making process going?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search