We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
OK, so in early March (just before I became a mom of 3) dh lost his job, I was just finished with my student teaching at the time, so neither of us had a job, and this has remained true for pretty much the entire time (dh had another job that didn't work out for a little bit in June). Anyway, paying the bills has eaten away most of the money we had and we're running out. Everytime I think to myself "I don't know how we'll pay the mortgage next month" the money has come, but we could really use a job in this household. Well, we live in Idaho, so mainly I was only applying to schools where we wouldn't have to sell our house (which plummeted in value this year making it hard for us to sell it since we now owe more than the county says it is worth). But I sent out two out of state applications, one to where my mother has been staying taking care of my grandad cuz I knew I could go stay with her, she'd be there for babysitting and we wouldn't have to sell the house cuz it wouldn't be long term and we wouldn't be paying on a new mortgage or rent. The other was to Las Vegas. I lived there for a little bit my first year of college. I knew they ALWAYS need teachers and I liked living there, so I figured they'd be my back up.
Well the summer has come and gone and I have no teaching job lined up. And in fact Las Vegas' classes resume Monday. Las Vegas never did get all my stuff in line though. I talked to them earlier this week and they said my application was still under review and when they finished reviewing it, I would get some paper work. So today when I saw on my caller ID "Las Vegas, Nevada" I knew they must have finished the review.
Tomorrow at some time (the guy neglected to mention when he would call) I'm going to have a phone interview with Las Vegas. I'm very conflicted on this because I NEED a job, but it is so complicated to move to Vegas at this point. So I'm asking for thoughts and prayers that God opens the doors He wants me to walk through and if I'm meant to take this job, they offer it to me and I do it!
Best of luck! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
Had you thought about substituting? DH and I did that in between jobs (before AJ). It isn't great pay but sometimes you can make a lot if you work more than one school district. Another option is someplace like Sylvan.
Crossing my fingers for you!
AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5) PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
My mom is in the same boat...applied at a ton of schools and hasn't heard anything. She tutored last year and charged anywhere from $20 to $30/hr depending on how many kids. That was also a little lower than the going rate in our area. Anyway, she's doing it again this year. All she did was put an ad on Craigslist and she had numerous people call her. She had to refuse some people because she got booked too fast.
I may try something like that, as I've tutored before. I was trying to wait til the school year started to actually look for alternate jobs, but I'm not a big Craigslist person, so I appreciate that suggestion, I kinda forget about that site! Thanks.
Thank you. DH actually isn't looking for a job. He has decided to go the school route. He starts college on Monday! He's kinda nervous, and cute. He gets GI Bill payments for going though, so he'll get a little income off that.