Not charting?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Does anyone else just do the math in their head every month? I figure charting would be more reliable, but doing it in my head has always worked for me. I remember when my last period was, and just block out a week for my fertility period (five days before, the day of, and the day after). So far it's worked.

Of course, it helps that I can always feel when I'm ovulating, and I just remember from month to month.. it's always the same. Feeling ovulation doesn't cover the pre-ovulation period, of course. But like I said, it's always the same.

In any case, Andy says he'd prefer if I chart. I saw the links to the different methods, but I'm wondering what methods all you ladies use, and which has worked best for you and why. =)
September 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use BOM. No temping, just charting at night. Very easy and reliable. I'd be careful just blocking out space!! That's how I get pg w/ my 2nd! Plus, you're probably abstaining on some days you don't need to be.
I'm still learning myself but it has been so helpful to have an instructor and to really really learn the method.
September 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
I'm using Fertility Awareness Method (FAM). I've been using it to TTA and TTC, and it's worked wonderfully for me.

I temp in the morning, pay attention to my CF and I do chart my CP, but that isn't necessary to do.

Wtih FAM, you can use a barrier of choice during your fertile times, whereas some family planning methods prefer abstinence during those times.

I love the idea of charting because it keeps me disciplined. Otherwise, I'd get pretyt lazy.
September 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely wouldn't recommend not charting if you have serious need to avoid pregnancy at this time. What you're doing is called the Calender/Rhythm Method (calculating your fertile time based on previous cycles). If you're very regular, it can be moderately effective...but not highly effective. It doesn't take into consideration the possibility of ovulating earlier or later than usual, which is bound to happen to even the most regular women once in awhile.

We've taken the scenic route when it comes to NFP methods! I have PCOS and that makes my cycles very irregular. Thankfully, modern forms of NFP can accommodate that nicely. We learned Billings poorly and it didn't work very well. We didn't have adequate training at that time, just kind of tried to figure it out on our own. Then we learned a form of Sympto Thermal from an instructor. It worked, but it required a lot of abstinence and I wasn't sure it was all necessary. Then we learned the Creighton Model from an instructor. It was great! My suspicions were correct, we were abstaining far too much than we needed to. CrM was great for building up our confidence. Then we learned the Billings Ovulation Method properly from a teacher. We were so impressed with it, we decided to stick with it for good and I became an instructor myself. We prefer BOM over CrM because it keeps everything very simple, even when my cycles are complicated. It was also more cost effective. I've also been teaching it since 2005.
September 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
We're preventing right now because of financial issues, but neither of us would be distraught if we ended up pregnant. I think part of me is less dedicated because I do, in fact, want another baby already.

I'll look into BOM, thanks!

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:03 AM.
September 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post

CF and CP?
CF = cervical fluid (or you'll also hear it called cervical mucus)
CP = cervical position
September 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
heh, okay. So.. after reading into BOM, I realized I've been at least partially doing it unofficially. I noticed that my discharge changes around the time of ovulation, and watch for it monthly.

Totally didn't realize it was an actual indicator.

Man, I've got a lot to learn.
September 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I use BOM to avoid. I do BOM with temping for TTC.

Definitely chart - I would never remember all that in my head. My BFP chart for my son is an example of the need to chart (I barely charted at all and it was mostly just when we BD and I never considered CM). LOL

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

September 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I did the rythum method, with a little bit of other such things at first myself. After Courtney that is. I didn't have money to pay for a teacher, I had a book, but that was it, and I didn't know you could get the payment defered or that there were online versions or anything I know now. I abstained MORE than I needed to because I wasn't as sure of myself as now. Also, I had REALLY regular cycles after Courtney, they did change, but once they would change they would be that way for 5 or 6 months, so it was easy. Thankfully I had really learned by Rock's time because I didn't have anything close to regular afterwards, and any chances I took I knew I was taking them after Rock.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search