Kinda Funny

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
A friend of mine that has only ever gotten pregnant by the use of clomid had sworn they were done with her family. Well, apparently they used NFP (I am convinced without an instructor) and ended up pregnant. She wasn't happy at first but she is now. She is feeling better than she did with her boys. She calls it her Souvenir Baby because she got pregnant while on vacation with her hubby minus the kids. Anyways, I overheard her talking to one of my other friends that uses NFP to avoid and she said that she guesses it doesn't work that well for her.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

September 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other day at work, one of my co workers said her SIL just had their 8th child. She said "Well, they use NFP so...that's what they get." Then she said her SIL was shocked she was pregnant.
kinda scared me just a little!! I know the effectiveness rates are really high, but still. I kept thinking, well what if she had proper training?? What if, what if...arg.
I was all worried I was going to end up pregnant too. But I worry way too much. I'm sure that lady wasn't doing it all correctly.
September 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always have a gazillion questions about those situations too. Well, it just makes me want to see the chart and solve the mystery! LOL

I have never, ever, ever seen a chart where they stuck to the rules and still conceived somehow. I don't doubt that they exist, but I haven't seen one yet.
I've only ever seen the ones where they didn't understand the rules or chose not to follow them - but that's the same as anything else. If you don't use it consistently/properly the chance of pregnancy rises. So hearing stuff like that doesn't make me panic, because there's usually an explanation.
September 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ha, yeah, I wanted to get her # and call her and ask what type of NFP they were doing, etc. So, how do people not understand the rules??? I mean they seem pretty simple to me! Is it just when they are first learning, or learning without an instructor? I know I'd be pretty lost if I didn't have my instructor.
September 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Knowing my friend, she didn't have an instructor and she probably wasn't following any particular type of NFP.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

September 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of people don't know there even are rules, because they've never read a book or taken a course on it. There are all kinds of misconceptions. Some think if they just chart and avoid ovulation day, they're good. Or they think they can just go by OPK's and that should be good enough. Or they miss the part about only having sex on alternate nights before the fertile phase begins. The list is endless, but it almost always comes down to a lack of education about it.

Or they did learn the rules at one point, but misunderstand how to apply them to their own charts - which may not look anything like the examples in the book! This is really common and I'd say the #1 reason follow up is so important. What you learn at the initial course is necessary, but the chart consultations are where it all comes together in real life.

That was definitely the case with us. We didn't really follow up the first time we learned Billings, so we thought we understood it all. It wasn't until after #2 when we followed up with a long distance teacher that she was able to point out that we were applying the rules incorrectly. If she hadn't pointed that out, we would have just carried on thinking we were doing it right. After working with her for a few months, we had it down solid. Her patience with me while I learned was a huge part of the reason I decided to become a teacher too. I really appreciated the support and there was nobody in our area offering that!
September 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I think NFP will work if you stick to the rules, I know all forms of bc fail sometimes, vasectamies and tube tieing fail, people act like they are fail proof. But I've also never seen anything to suggest that when people follow the rules/understand the rules that they get pregnant. I got pregnant last year while TTA, but I knew when we bd'd that it was a chance, we talked about it and said that we were going to anyway, and I'm REALLY thankful that it happened the way it did, not just because I love my son, but also because I had planned to start TTC in April/May/June of this year, and in March dh lost his job, so I wouldn't have wanted to, we managed to get LJ born and get in my 6 week check-up before the insurance ended (literally only days before, but before), so I'm glad we took the chance and that we did concieve, but I don't doubt NFP at all because of it, I just know that if we decide to take a chance, with our fertility history, it'll probably get us a baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search