Hi! New to this...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Mommy2Noah&Jack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi. I have been on JM for a few years, but new to this board and NFP. I am Amanda and my DH and I are not TTC. We have 2 boys, Noah and Jack (just turned 3 and 21 mo). I am hoping for one more someday and hope to sway for a girl, if given the opportunity. DH isnt fully on board with the idea of a 3rd right now. I would like to wait another year for our boys to get a little older.

I have a history of Endometriosis and really irregular cycles. Spotting constantly! I hope that by charting maybe I can give my doc some info to help figure out why my body is so messed up.

I have been charting for 2 months now using Fertility Friend and TCOYF. Both seem to give me different charts for some reason and each month they look so different. So far charting seems to make me more confused about my body. I just dont see anything constant going on. I thought maybe you ladies might have some ideas as to what is going on.

TYIA for any help.

ETA my charts so far.
I copied them all the paint so they would all be together. The top is TCOYF and the bottom is FF for both months I have been charting.

Month 1

Month 2

Last edited by Mommy2Noah&Jack; September 8th, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
September 8th, 2009, 06:30 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Do you have a link to your TCOF chart? I'd like to compare the too. Also, I'm not able to get to your FF chart. It could just be my computer though.

I don't really like fertility friend, because the software can do some wonky stuff and at times I don't find it very accurate - but that's just me. There are women who use it and it works for them.

I use the TCOYF software as well, so I'm more familiar with that.

Charting in the beginning is very confusing at first because you are getting used to what you need to do in terms of temping, charting your cervical mucous (CM), sensation (VS) and cervical position - if you do it (CP)

The advice that I can give is to be consistent in everything that you do - time in which you temp, check your CP (if you do it), and knowing how to interpret your body's production of CM.

Being that you are only two months into charting, you will definitely get the hang of it as you get more and more familiar with your body and get "into the groove" of charting itself. It can take up to a good six months to really get an idea as to what is going on with your body and actually see a pattern, whether or not you have wonky cycles.

I'm sure Shawna will be able to give you a little more detail as she is an instructor and can give you more of probably what you need.
September 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks! I just put my charts in photobucket and posted them. I tried uploading them to TCOYF but had trouble since I dont know the email for the computer IP address. I tried checking CM, but am not real good at determining which is which... and I tried checking cervix but am not even sure if what I am feeling. I figured I better not guess on those since its all my judgement and I have no clue... lol. Congrats on your little girl, she was born the day before my oldest sons 3 yr bday!

September 8th, 2009, 07:15 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
CM takes some time to interpret, but that's the only way you will really know if you are ovulating. CP isn't necessary so you don't have to go that route if you don't want to. If you have any questions about it, just post here. We can help you interpret - just be detailed. Once we can help you, you'll be able to tell soon enough.

Surprisingly, your charts are pretty much the same. There's variances in the CL of course but for the most part, they are pretty close. I was expecting your temps to be more erratic, but they aren't too bad actually.
September 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it looks like you're doing just fine, even if it isn't all quite making sense yet. FF is notorious for false interpretations, it's not actually based on concrete science - but Ovusoft is. It's usually more accurate. I would encourage you to stick with just one system of charting, I think it will reduce the confusion for you.

As for monitoring CM, perhaps this little explanation will help (especially page 8):
http://www.woomb.org/learningBOM/B20...nstruction.pdf
September 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks I will read the info on CM. With my spotting alot it always throws me off. Is it ok to have such a flat temperature line post-o (the ovusoft chart)? Where do they come up with the coverline number? On CD18, 3 dpo (according to ovusoft)- TMI- I had a major gush of blood first thing in the morning and it was gone by afternoon. It threw me for a loop because it wasnt anything like my normal spotting. I thought I was starting AF really early. I also had my high temp that day (by just a hair). Any idea what this might have been? When are there dips and spikes normally? Thanks for all the help! It really means alot!!!

September 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Even temperatures are fine, unless it's exactly the same temp every day! That usually means the battery is dying. LOL Dips and spikes aren't really significant by themselves, it's the overall pattern that counts. One temp isn't ever conclusive all by itself because it could be high or low for reasons that aren't related to fertility at all (illness, sleeping with mouth open, alcohol consumption the night before, extra or fewer blankets while you sleep, etc). Once ovulation occurs, the overall temperature pattern will shift upwards. Ovusoft establishes a coverline when you have 3 temps which are higher than the previous 6 (which is why they are red with a little 1, 2, 3).
September 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I use FF and it is totally messed up. I have to interpret myself because if I didn't I'd get pregnant when I'm not trying to. I know for sure it said I ovulated 2 days early this time, so if I had DTD afterwards I could have easily had a baby on the way. If you are learning to chart, FF is not very helpful.

September 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
How do they determine Ovulation? Between FF and Ovusoft, I have 2 different dates - 2 days apart. How do you go about interpreting on your own? Would yo usay this month I o'd on 13 or 15? Thank you all so much for answering my questions!!

September 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm new too!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
September 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Most people learn to interpret their own charts by reading an instructional book (Taking Charge of Your Fertility is very good for sympto-thermal charting) or by taking a class that teaches you how to do it. For TTA, I definitely recommend learning it all inside and out from a certified instructor - but for TTC there's no problem with figuring it out as you go along.

As for ovulation day, the thermal shift doesn't start until CD16 - so my vote is CD15.
September 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Welcome Joanna! Your little boy is so cute!

Thanks Shawna... so that is Ovusofts guess too. I think this month i'll try OPK around the 14-16th to see if I can pinpoint it. A few more months of charting then I can again aproach my doc with concerns... hopefully finding a new doc first. Mine retired and I hate his replacement! I had Lap surgery scheduled with him and he canceled it a week before and wanted to reschedule a D&C instead for a different time after I did all the pre op stuff. I really want to fgure out why I spot/bleed so much all the time. Its annoying!

September 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
A few times I've seen Shawna post the rules for peak, if you determine you've reached peak then you can get a better idea of when you ovulated. FF goes mainly of temperature, and it is kind of bad at it.

September 11th, 2009, 06:52 AM
If you're interested, NaPro Physicians are really good at getting to the root of reproductive problems (like Endo). A lot of doctors just try to cover up the symptoms with drugs instead of actually getting down to what the problem is and fixing that. NaPro stands for Natural Procreative Technologies, they use the Creighton Model of NFP as a diagnostic tool. In other words they use your chart as the baseline for the medical investigation - what tests to run, etc. I saw one for my PCOS and she was so helpful, and so thorough! They also use the charts to monitor whether treatment is working or not.

Welcome to FertilityCare Centers of America

I definitely recommend them if you want someone who really knows what they are doing when it comes to the female reproductive system!
September 11th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Shawna! They sound great! There isnt one in NY unfortunately. I am going to talk to DH though to see what he thinks about going to a nearby state. Something has to be done. Between the constant bleeding and the pain... I just am sick of it. Today is a bad day. Thank you for the advice!!

September 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah the constant bleeding can't be good for you either, you loose iron and such from that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search