Help!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had posted on here several months ago ( before our daughter was born ) about planning to attempt NFP again ( We tried it and obviously did something wrong because I got pregnant with our little girl ) but then Dh decided he was against the idea in fear that I would get pregnant again .. SO .. my doctor prescribed me YAZ .. WELLLL .. after checking out the birth control board and hearing a lot of the ladies say they are now having heart problems and other issues I've decided against taking it .... Scary stuff. So now .. I'm at a stand still ... again. I have PCOS so to control the symptoms of that I have to either be on hormonal birth control or metformin ( which for ladies with PCOS works as a fertility drug almost ) ... Condoms are an annoyance not to mention VERY expensive but I'm nervous about trying NFP again .... Any suggestions on how we can perfect our NFP so another little surprise doesn't happen again?
September 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome back!

As for perfecting NFP - there are a few things I can suggest. First of all, how did you learn NFP last time? What type of NFP were you following? Did you take a course or work with a teacher? If no - DO THAT! Self teaching leaves a lot more room for misunderstanding (aka higher chance of pregnancy). When you have the personalized support from a teacher, they can usually tell from your charts when you're misunderstanding something and clear it up before it leads to a 9 month holiday from charting!

Secondly, do you know what happened last time? NFP can seem really scary if you thought you were doing everything right and still got pregnant somehow. But if you know what happened, then it might help your DH have more confidence in being able to do things differently this time around. If you need any help with that, I'd be able to go over your pregnancy chart with you privately (just PM me).

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions that are still unanswered! We're happy to help!
September 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!

I actually only visited a few websites last time to learn about it. I believe I was mistaken on how simple it would be. And too I think because of my PCOS I may have ovulated a little later than normal even though I was on metformin ( which regulates you .. ) ..

I really think I'm going to talk to him about it and see if we can try it again!

I'd love some charting help .. I believe that's the one thing that gets me confused ..
September 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have PCOS too, it's sure annoying. But NFP can be tailored to suit your cycles as they happen, so it doesn't matter how long or short each cycle ends up being.

For starters, why not read through the Resource and FAQ stickies. Then once you have an idea about which method of NFP you'd like to learn, we can help you figure out if there are any classes or teachers near you.

As for your pregnancy chart, do you have it online? I'd be happy to take a look at it, either privately (PM me) or here.
September 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DEFINITELY get a teacher, either on person or online. I have mine online! At first I didn't think I really needed one but after reading through here I decided to go ahead. I'm so glad I did! I'm breastfeeding so I haven't even ovulated yet. My instructor has been very helpful! Good luck!!
September 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I used NFP for almost a year to avoid and I was diagnosed with PCOS almost a year ago (11 months after beginning to TTC). It is certainly possible to avoid with it. I use BOM and IMO is great to use with a new baby!

Good Luck!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

September 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I'll def. take a look at the resources and stickies!
September 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
GL! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask and I'm certain with help you can figure out how to make NFP work for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search