Opks post partum?? (using stm)

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies!

I have 3 children ages 9, 7 and 10 weeks. I use NFP and am very familiar with ccl's sympto thermal method. Before I got pregnant with my last child I was using opks with success for many months. They always had a faint line leading up to the positive to indicate O. I am not breast feeding (despite taking Reglan I produce NO milk ) My first AF came at 9 weeks PP and was normal except I had many days of spotting afterwards which is VERY unusual for me. I have been taking OPKs and they are STARK WHITE! I have done some research and have read that opks may not work post partum. Any experience out there? Thanks for any info!
October 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

You can certainly use OPK's PP, in conjuction with the CCL rules you are familiar with because OPK's alone don't give enough advance warning of ovulation for avoiding pregnancy.

The first few post partum cycles can be irregular, even though you're not breastfeeding. They can be annovulatory, or ovulation might happen much later than it did before baby. It's not unusual to take up to 6 cycles to normalize after having a baby.

To save money on your OPK's though, don't worry about testing if you are dry. If you're dry or are experiencing a Basic Infertile Pattern of Discharge, it's normal for the OPK to be blank because no CM indicates that your hormones are sitting at a very low level and your ovaries are inactive. Once they become active, hormones will rise, and the mucus will begin. Just save your OPK's for when you have cervical mucus.
October 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the response... I have been taking the opks mostly out of curiosity. Prior to getting pregnant I always had some kind of line. I guess my hormone levels are just very low right now. In a typicaly cycle I would be due to O cd 16 to cd 18. Today is cd 15 and still no line at all on the opks. I am having some cm that is fertile in quality so I am using the stm rules for avoiding. (We are actually NTNP) I guess only time will tell! My body must just still be getting back to normal. Thanks again!
October 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I replied to this earlier...guess it ate my post...but I wasn't going to say anything that Shawna didn't say.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search