How confident are you?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
How confident are you in your method of choice?

What about in yourself using that method?

October 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
feministwriter
It depends on what you're asking. Do you mean, am I confident that NFP works? Or that it's the best choice for me right now? Or it works in preventing pregnancy? Or that I trust myself to do it correctly?
October 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
I'm fairly confident in my choice in FAM. I'm no expert of course, but I've learned a lot where I feel I can put my 2 cents in for sure.

I very confident in myself with my choice too. I know my body, I know what to look for, etc. Nobody but me can tell me what is going on and I LOVE that.
October 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Originally Posted by feministwriter View Post
It depends on what you're asking. Do you mean, am I confident that NFP works? Or that it's the best choice for me right now? Or it works in preventing pregnancy? Or that I trust myself to do it correctly?
How confident are you that your method of NFP works, as in how reliable do you think it is?

And the 2nd question, do you think you're good enough at it, it'll work for you?

I'm much more confident in my method than in myself for instance...I know I could mess up, but I know the method works. But mainly I only doubt myself just because I know how easy it has been for me to get pregnant.

October 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely confident in the method itself, the science behind it and all that.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to apply it too. But that only came after I learned from a teacher, did chart consults every 2 weeks then every month until I knew it all inside and out. That's before I was a teacher myself. Before that, I *thought* I knew what I was doing, but I didn't have a clue.
October 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Well since we have been using this method for almost 9 years or so I am very confident in our method. The only time we had an opps was when we didn't do what we should have done and hey it happens. Once in 9 years is good odds LOL.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very confident in my method of choice. Since I've only been using it for 3 months still not all that confident in myself. I mean I'm pretty comfortable with it right now, but I haven't had my first post partum period yet so I guess I'm still not all the confident in my application once I'm actually ovulating and am fertile.
October 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Since I am using the rules exclusively for the Marquette study because a pregnancy wouldn't be bad at this point, I will talk about that. Some ladies know that I was doubling up methods because I didn't trust it.

I still don't trust it very much. You have to be a very regular cycled woman in order to use this method and you have to have a cycle that is normally longer than 26 days. My shortest cycle was 26 days so even the free time before can be potentially hazardous if needing to avoid.

As far as my ability to monitor and interpret the data and follow the rules, I am 100% confident that I am able to do that with the Marquette monitor method. It is the easiest method I have because it is only peeing on a stick until you reach peak and knowing the math that goes along with finding the fertile window to avoid in.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
So do you do OPKs or what?? What are the rules for the study method? Just curious!
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandali View Post
So do you do OPKs or what?? What are the rules for the study method? Just curious!
HERE is the link to the method

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
I'm definitely confident in the method itself, the science behind it and all that.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to apply it too. But that only came after I learned from a teacher, did chart consults every 2 weeks then every month until I knew it all inside and out. That's before I was a teacher myself. Before that, I *thought* I knew what I was doing, but I didn't have a clue.
THIS is what scares me. I'm confident that the method is reliable. And so far, NFP seems to be an easy concept to grasp. I know there are things I have NO idea about, for example the LAM and charting while nursing, etc. But I know myself, and that I will learn all that when it applies to me.

Right now, I'm pretty confident that I know enough to not get pregnant, which is what we're trying to do. But there's always this little thought in my mind, saying "what if this is too easy, and I'm missing something..."
October 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Ashley YES that is kind of how I feel too! I guess part of it is the conception I have had all my life about NFP. In some ways I keep thinking well maybe it will help me not get pregnant for a couple months longer but really I'll end up pregnant anyway. Even though I know all the literature and studies shows otherwise.
October 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~SweetPeas~ View Post
Right now, I'm pretty confident that I know enough to not get pregnant, which is what we're trying to do. But there's always this little thought in my mind, saying "what if this is too easy, and I'm missing something..."
In my experience, having the teacher to refer back to do make double,triple,quadruple sure I was understanding it all properly made the biggest difference in my confidence level. But even with that, there was still lingering doubts that only time could take care of. With each AF that arrived, I would think "Cool! It worked!" And then my confidence grew a little more with each passing cycle. Now that I teach, that confidence has grown even more because I have the privilege of seeing it unfold for my TTA clients as well. Any time a pregnancy has occurred, there was an explanation that supported the science of method. I have yet to see a pregnancy chart where all the rules were followed consistently and conception still occurred. I know they exist out there, but I haven't seen one yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search