Questions....

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never temped or charted but have been thinking about it and was wondering if some of you ladies could give me some info!

I am breastfeeding (6 months now) and most nights I am up at least every 3 hours with Natalie. And a lot of times even when she is sleeping I'm laying in bed unable to sleep. My sleep is rare and random. I read that it's important to get several hours of sleep before testing and to test at the same time. What do I do when several hours isn't an option? I also hate to set an alarm to make sure I wake up at the exact same time every day because with my sleep being so messed up as it is I don't want to interrupt the little I do get.

Another question... I know cervical checking is not required, but I have always checked it now and then to get an idea where I'm at in my cycle. I have not had af yet since having Natalie but have had some spotting and a lot of random heavy cervical mucous. Is it normal to be super high, soft, and open considering no af yet? I don't have anything to compare to since I haven't been checking since Natalie was born. I don't know if I just so happen to be ovulating, if it's breastfeeding related, or if this is just the way the "new me" feels after having a baby?

Thanks for anyone who has any input! I'm looking forward to learning more about this!
October 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

First of all, for the temps you can two options. You can skip temping altogether and go with a mucus only method (they are listed in the Resource Sticky). Or just do your best to temp as close to the same time every morning and you should still see a pattern when ovulation finally occurs.

The post partum return of fertility can be a little challenging, in that your body might gear up to ovulate multiple times before you actually go through with it. That is likely what was happening each time you've noticed episodes of cervical mucus and a high,soft,open cervix. It's possible to ovulate before you get your first AF and the chance of that also rises now that you're past the 6 month mark too.

Are you at all interested in working with a teacher so you have someone to coach you through post partum charting step by step?
October 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info! That helps a lot!

So if go with the temp route, would I be able to get accurate results if I only slept for 1 hour before I took my temp? Like if I was in and out of bed all night with broken sleep and slept 1 straight hour before temping in the morning.

I'm really nervous that I will get inaccurate results or mess up somehow. It couldn't hurt to try though... right now we have been NTNP which is making me nervous because I'm not ready for a 2nd yet! I can't take hormone bc and we are horrible with condoms. I need to find a method that will work for us.

How do you get a teacher? What is required? Does it cost something?
October 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neads View Post
Thanks for the info! That helps a lot!

So if go with the temp route, would I be able to get accurate results if I only slept for 1 hour before I took my temp? Like if I was in and out of bed all night with broken sleep and slept 1 straight hour before temping in the morning.
The only way to know is to try it and just see if 1 hour is enough to see a thermal shift. It could still be some time before you ovulate though and temps only tell you after the fact that ovulation has occurred. In the meantime, it will be really important to understand your cervical mucus because that's the signal that tells you whether you're fertile or infertile each day.

Quote:
I'm really nervous that I will get inaccurate results or mess up somehow. It couldn't hurt to try though... right now we have been NTNP which is making me nervous because I'm not ready for a 2nd yet! I can't take hormone bc and we are horrible with condoms. I need to find a method that will work for us.
If you're nervous and it's really important for you to avoid pregnancy right now, then I highly recommend learning a clinically verified method of NFP from a teacher. It's not impossible to teach yourself, but it's a lot harder that way and the pregnancy rate is higher for couples who are self-taught.

Quote:
How do you get a teacher? What is required? Does it cost something?
It all depends on which method of NFP you want to learn. You can check through the Resource Sticky to learn about the different kinds. There are online courses and a few of the ladies here have done them. There are also live classes and home study courses. Ladies here have done those too. You could also PM me your location and I can check to see what options exist in your area.

There is usually a one time fee for training, but most NFP teachers will waive their fee if you can't afford it. They'll just charge for the materials. The fees and cost of materials are different depending on which method it is.
October 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I am learning the BOM through an online course. I have a 4 1/2 month old and am also breastfeeding. BOM is great for me breastfeeding because it does not require temps or internal checking or anything like that. Just noting CM and sensation and that's all!
Having an instructor has been soooo helpful and crucial! Hope you find a method that works for you!
October 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Welcome to the board, I think Shawna covered all your questions so I'll just leave it there!

October 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
How are you doing?
November 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had a chance to look into things yet. My first PP period started this week so I am thinking that it would be a good time to start temping. I think for now I will just experiment. I'll try to temp around the same time every morning as best I can and see if it gives me good enough results. I informed dh that we need to try to do better about using condoms until I feel comfortable enough with this new method.

Is there a website anyone recommends that helps organize and keep up with temp info?
November 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
If all you are doing is temping that won't tell you that you are going to ovulate, only that you did ovulate, and so it won't help you prevent actually...I don't recommend fertility friend, they're always wrong on when I ovulate anyway, and since you are breastfeeding you would have the same issue quite possibly.

November 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
CyclePro and Ovusoft are both good programs for temping.
November 5th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
If all you are doing is temping that won't tell you that you are going to ovulate, only that you did ovulate, and so it won't help you prevent actually...I don't recommend fertility friend, they're always wrong on when I ovulate anyway, and since you are breastfeeding you would have the same issue quite possibly.
Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there was so much to this. I don't think I would trust a computer to tell me when I ovulate anyways. Things like that seem to be inaccurate when I use them. I'm just interested in a website that I can type my temps into and it will make a chart. I guess I could always make my own chart in Excel.
November 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Oh there are lots, just google BBT charting.

Oh there are lots, just google BBT chart.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search