NFP Perceptions

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: NFP Perceptions
I used to (or still) think NFP meant withdrawal/pull & pray 4 22.22%
I used to (or still) think NFP meant calculating fertile days based on cycle length (with a calender or online fertility predictor) 9 50.00%
I used to (or still) think NFP means using cola as a spermicidal douche 0 0%
I used to (or still do) not have a clue what NFP was at all 4 22.22%
I've always known NFP meant tracking signs of fertility, day by day. 5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thought it would be fun to do a poll about NFP perceptions! I seem to have met an increasing number of people who think NFP = withdrawal. Just wondering how common that is!

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; October 27th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
October 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I guess I thought it was a combination of things. I actually thought it was also called the rhythm method. Basically watching all the signs and learning your body to avoid pregnancy. Is that not right? I might be completely wrong. We do the watching the signs and withdrawal method.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
I guess I thought it was a combination of things. I actually thought it was also called the rhythm method. Basically watching all the signs and learning your body to avoid pregnancy. Is that not right? I might be completely wrong. We do the watching the signs and withdrawal method.
Rhythm/Calender is where you predict when you'll be fertile based on the overall length of your cycle. Like if your cycle is 30 days, you count yourself fertile from days 11-19. There is no tracking signs at all, just counting. It's only reliable for women who are very regular and even then, it doesn't account for ovulation that happens earlier or later than usual. Can't be used while breastfeeding or if you're irregular or during peri-menopause either.

Watching fertile signs is part of NFP or Fertility Awareness Methods - so you tell you're fertile based on hard evidence rather than predictions or guesses. With all the NFP methods, couples abstain on fertile days to avoid pregnancy. With FAM, contraception is used on fertile days - a barrier, withdrawal, spermicide etc.

Does that clarify the difference?
October 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I clicked two of them, the rythum method one and the no clue...cuz I had no clue about it, then I learned about the rythum method, then I learned about modern NFP, it was an evolution, lol

November 1st, 2009, 11:07 PM
So P&P didn't come out as high as I thought it would. Very interesting anyway!
November 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I've never understood why anyone thinks p&p works...this one mistifies me...it is like they think since they know people who it worked for that means it works...I know people who didn't have morning sickness and had a boy, does that mean that all people who don't have morning sickness will have boys? That baffles me...somebody someday will have to explain it to me.

November 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
THE angry uterus
Hahaha, I've always heard of it as pull and pray, but thought it was in the rythm method sort of way, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search