Billings method

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
THE angry uterus
I'm thinking of switching to billings method, but I'm a little nervouse. It looks so complicated! I've successfully used temping to avoid and acheive pregnancy, but I'm still BFing and LO is up at least every 2-3 hours at night, if not more often. Currently I'm taking the minipill (bad catholic, bad!), but I want off it (so I can be a good catholic, lol), but I also don't want to get PG right now. So, billings method would be the most ideal for me right now, I guess. I'm so afraid I'm going to mess it up and wind up PG though. I guess a PG wouldn't be a bad thing, but I wanted my body to recover a little longer with hopes I wont go into PTL with the next PG.

Is billings difficult at first? My charting software is TCOYF, and I believe it has settings to do billings only, temps only, or both.
November 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is almost 5 months old. I started learning BOM a couple weeks after she was born. I LOVE IT! It isn't complicated at all....I went to the online course and requested an instructor and basically let her guide me so far.
As far as method it's so easy. You just be aware of sensation and CM during the day and chart it. Having an instructor is so crucial because she will help you identify your specific pattern.
It's GREAT for breastfeeding since you can monitor your fertility on a day by day basis. I'm still breastfeeding and haven't had any issues except for all the spurts of potential fertility that comes w/ all my breastfeeding changes!
November 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Mary. It's simple to use if you have someone to walk you through it, but it can be confusing trying to figure it out on your own. I definitely recommend learning from a teacher, either locally or online. Then you have someone to walk you through it step by step for all the personalized support you need (because every woman is unique).

Ovusoft isn't really compatible with BOM because it doesn't use the same rules for TTA, or the same stamps, or have protocols for telling the difference between infertile discharge and fertile mucus. It may have settings for following the mucus only, but that's not the same as following the Billings Method. The BOM is a whole system of charting and TCOYF is a totally different system of charting. The two systems also have different ways of classifying CM, different rules for TTA, etc.

Another perk is that there are several BOM users on this board and I also teach it IRL, so you can ask all the questions you need to as you learn.
November 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
THE angry uterus
Oooooh. This scares the crap out of me! Wish I would have learned it before I started getting my PP periods! Should I do online or IRL classes?? I'm a very modest person and would feel very uncomfortable with a real life class, but I think that might be the best option, especially since I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by this all. Where do I find a class, how long do they usually run, and how often do they start?
November 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In a class, you don't have to share ANYTHING about yourself. NOTHING. You just sit and learn about the method the first time. Then you come back for private consults with the teacher, where you go over your chart together. It's 100% confidential and nobody else is there but you, DH, and the teacher. I'm very modest too, I completely understand.

For Michigan, here are the BOM teachers and their locations. To find out about classes, each teacher sets their own schedule. Some don't run classes at all, they only teach one couple at a time. Just call/email and ask!
BOMA-USA - Instructors - Michigan

P.S. Spiritual peace and being able to receive the Eucharist are SOOOO worth the switch. Here is a collection of testimonies from NFP couples that might help ease your fears about it:
Faith & Family Live! : All Natural
November 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I hope you saw Shawna's reply and that it is comforting to you. Just think of the sharing with the teacher afterwards as sharing it with God in a way, you are following what He wants for you there.

November 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I took it online and had no problems with it.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search