CD 1 or no?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
THE angry uterus
Okay, so I started my first PP period Oct 5th after several days of spotting and followed by several days of spotting. Two weeks later on CD 14, I started my period "again", but it wasn't preceded by spotting, it lasted two days of heavy flow with small clots, and then a day of spotting, then nothing. Do I count the bleeding on CD 14 as spotting or CD1? Do I even count the previous bleeding as a period or breakthrough bleeding?

I'm currently on the minipill, wanting to come off, and the second round of bleeding was in the middle of the pack. I did miss a pill one day earlier that week, then some how doubled up one day later that week, so no wonder everything is messed up! Just wondering if I am on CD 30 or 16ish... I hate bcps.
November 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I don't have any experience with post partum, but I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top.

But, I *think* that the heavier flow would be considered CD1.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

November 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You only consider bleeding CD1 if you were able to confirm ovulation beforehand. Otherwise it could be a number of other things, but it's not true menstruation. BUT..that only applies with natural cycles.

With cycles dominated by synthetic hormones, there's just no way to really know what it is. It's normal to ovulate on the mini-pill, but the synthetic hormones interfere with your CM so you can't actually track it. The mini pill also contains synthetic progesterone, the hormone responsible for a rise in temps after ovulation = meaning you can't use BBT to identify ovulation either. Breakthrough bleeding is normal on the mini pill, especially when you miss and double up on pills. Without a chart to refer to because the hormones disrupt your natural fertile signs, there's just no way to know what the bleeding is from at all. Could be ovulation bleeding, partial implantation, or just a hormonal disturbance from missing/doubling pills. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that!
November 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
THE angry uterus
Okay, so I am thinking I'm going to finish this pack, then start something else, either back to NFP or try billings after this, cause really, if it's NOT stopping ovulation anyway, and both were heavy, I might as well not take the dang thing anyway (good, cause I hate taking bcp!!), but now I just need to decide which method to use... BOM or NFP... I guess it will all depend on if Oliver is sleeping through the night... Grrr! I have about a mo to get him to sleep through the night, or to learn BOM or both! I'm feeling stressed...
November 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmom View Post
but now I just need to decide which method to use... BOM or NFP...
NFP is an umbrella term that describes lots of different methods. What they have in common is that they all involve tracking fertility and abstaining on fertile days to avoid pregnancy, but each system has a different way of doing that. BOM is NFP. It's one of several different types of NFP.
November 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
THE angry uterus
I've decided that I need to learn Billings since it seems to be the best to use with BFing, and even if I don't end up using it this time around, then I will still be able to use it with my next child.

I have tons of questions though, and hate the thought of asking anyone them...
November 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmom View Post
I have tons of questions though, and hate the thought of asking anyone them...
Will it make you feel any better to know the instruction (live or online) is private and confidential? It's normal to have lots of questions, we ALL did when we were first learning!
November 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM
THE angry uterus
No! LOL I'm a very modest person, it makes me very anxiouse, lol.

Now I'm thinking of backing out, lol. I'm terrified of getting pg while learning for one thing. I don't know how DH would feel about "abstaining for 2-4 weeks" during the initial period.... He probably wont go for all of that, lol! Especially since I haven't fully returned to "fertility" with regular cycles due to BFing. Maybe I should just wait unitl Oliver sleeps through the night, then learn it as I'm doing the temps and charting! LOL This is so nerve wraking!!

I need a little support and encouragement here, anyone want to tell me their story??
November 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Well, it's probably worth sitting down and just having a big honest heart to heart with DH about all of this.

Yes, NFP requires sacrifice. But the mini pill requires sacrifice too, just a different kind. Could be the sacrifice of your health because of the risks, the potential for the sacrifice of human life because it doesn't usually work by preventing conception. It works by preventing implantation 7-10 days after conception. Then there are spiritual sacrifices too, having to refrain from the Eucharist and all that powerful grace in your marriage. That's why I think a very honest discussion is a good idea, so you can work out which sacrifices are more acceptable to you at this time.

For us, the abstinence can be a pain in the neck. But the benefits of fasting together in that way have been so powerful. I would not trade what it has done to our marriage for anything! It strengthens the non-sexual areas of our relationship, like our friendship and emotional bond. Then when we are able to come together again, it's always so special and it means so much. We come together and become one body without anything chemical or plastic or metal between us. Then on Sunday, we approach the altar and become one body by receiving the Eucharist together. There's a harmony between body and soul, I can't explain it. Maybe I'm not even making sense at all. We feel closer to God and to each other because of the abstinence, even if it's hard at the time. There's peace.

There are others who can explain it better than I can. Did you read these testimonials I posted to you in the other thread? If no, here they are:
Faith & Family Live! : All Natural

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; November 10th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
November 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I didn't know that about the mini-pill...I feel like crying...I'm so freakin' hormonal.

anyway, I totally believe NFP is worth it, and getting an instructor is too. We are very supportive here and you can always come here with any questions, no question is too stupid or anything for us either!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search