postpartum fertility

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Hey everybody! My name is Margaret and I don't visit this board as often as I should. I'm here today with a question but I will try and be a more regular member in the future

DH and I have 2 sons - our first, Luke, is a little over two and I became pregnant with our second when Luke was just 7 months old. I had one cycle and then got pregnant on my second cycle - I wasn't charting then and wasn't paying attention to any signs.
Now our second son is 9 months old and we feel like we have some serious reasons to avoid pregnancy for the time being. Because I got my cycle back at 6 months after Luke I expect my cycle to start up again anytime but I am nervous I will miss the signs.
I'd love to hear from any of you who were charting after having a baby - were the signs obvious? what were they? I'm really hoping to hear people say - you can't miss it - your mucus will increase drastically! but I'm thinking it isn't always that obvious. Thanks!
November 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome back!

It should be pretty obvious, but you might also notice some starting/stopping along the way. As in, CM may start and stop because your body might attempt ovulation multiple times before it actually goes through with it. After 6 months PP, the chance of ovulating before your first PP period is higher so it's definitely time to follow the rules of your NFP method of choice if you need to TTA at this time. Post partum charting can be a little more challenging than when you're cycling regularly, do you have an instructor who can walk you through this or give you a little refresher?
November 5th, 2009, 05:56 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Girl, I've just started charting after the birth of my daughter and my cycles are just whacky. Check out my chart in my siggy. Cycle 16 is the first charting experience after my daughter was born. This current cycle is a little better, but I ovulated WAY later than my normal before pregnancy. i geared up so many times to ovulate this cycle, but never did until a week ago. Gives you something to look at for sure
November 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Thanks ladies. I did take a class with DH from couple to couple leauge specifically dealing with postpartum fertility - so...I know I should feel more confident but it is still kind of scary. I should be thankful for this period of infertility but I feel like DH and I haven't been able to "enjoy" it because any tiny of sign of CM I get nervous.
November 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Confidence takes time, that's normal! Most people don't really feel confident right off the bat. Do make sure you follow-up with your teachers. The class is important, but the follow-up is even more important because that's where theory and real life come together.

As for BFing infertility, it doesn't actually apply after 6 months. So you should be cautious about any sign of CM at this point. You can ovulate before your first PP period. The Phase I rules are in effect for TTA at this point. (Abstain when there's CM and for 3 dry days after, use alternate nights only when you are dry. Dry = nothing felt/nothing seen).

Does that help Margaret?
November 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I geared up so many times but didn't ovulate it isn't funny. I had many annovluatory cycles. I never actually ovulated till my son was almost a year (and he stopped nursing all together).

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

November 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
Confidence takes time, that's normal! Most people don't really feel confident right off the bat. Do make sure you follow-up with your teachers. The class is important, but the follow-up is even more important because that's where theory and real life come together.

As for BFing infertility, it doesn't actually apply after 6 months. So you should be cautious about any sign of CM at this point. You can ovulate before your first PP period. The Phase I rules are in effect for TTA at this point. (Abstain when there's CM and for 3 dry days after, use alternate nights only when you are dry. Dry = nothing felt/nothing seen).

Does that help Margaret?

Thank you, yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1Boy1Girl* View Post
Girl, I've just started charting after the birth of my daughter and my cycles are just whacky. Check out my chart in my siggy. Cycle 16 is the first charting experience after my daughter was born. This current cycle is a little better, but I ovulated WAY later than my normal before pregnancy. i geared up so many times to ovulate this cycle, but never did until a week ago. Gives you something to look at for sure
thank you!
November 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Mine were pretty obvious. Just trust your method and follow the rules and you should be fine!

November 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Margaret,

I am not breastfeeding and this is my chart. Chart 9 was the first one PP and was annovulatory but was consistent with my prepregnancy cycle lengths. You will notice my cm and cp was all over the place. Chart 10 is looking more normal for me. Checking cm internally can make you seem fertile when you may not be.

lariena13's WebCharts
November 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Pssst, Margaret....Lariena is our resident CCL teacher, so I'm sure she'll be a big help with the post partum charting guidelines specific to CCL.
November 14th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I just ovulated for the first time at almost 10 months PP. I had cramping on and off basically since giving birth, but besides that...I had one patch of EWCM and ovulated a few days later. We aren't trying to prevent, but if we were I guess I wouldn't have had a huge amount of warning.

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search