Where do I start?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I posted on the Fertility Charting board, but I'm not TTC. I just want to chart to avoid. I've just recently stopped using the NuvaRing because of side effects and have decided that I will not be using any more hormonal birth control. I even had a ParaGard IUD that fell into my cervix after it was inserted, so I'm just letting my body rest for the time being, probably for a few years at least. I would like to have one more child, but I can not convince my SO that we should TTC so ... here I am.

By the way, for those who don't know me, I'm Rachel, mom of 21 year old Sarah, 18 year old James and 4 year old Daniel. I also have two step sons, 10 year old William and 8 year old Clayton who live with us full time.
November 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Rachel! Take a few minutes to read through the FAQ and Online Resources stickies. That should help you understand the various options available for charting to avoid. Once you have an idea which option would suit you best, we can help you get started!

The fastest and most reliable way to learn is to work with an instructor. There are live classes, online courses, home study courses that all pair you up with a teacher for personalized support.
November 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Welcome Rachel! Good Luck! I hope you get your SO to agree to TTC - how fun would that me to be pregnant at the same time!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

November 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I think I would start by figuring out which method you want to use. That is where I am at. I ordered a couple books - TCOYF and the Billings Method. I haven't got them in yet, but that is where I am at. For now I am using temperature charting until I figure things out a little better and since I am also charting to conceive. I just like seeing my temps, but trying to get a better understanding of charting CM to avoid. Dh is thankfully doing really good with the abstaining thing while I figure things out.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Thanks everyone! I'm going to look on amazon for a book or two. I've started temping already, but mostly to get the hang of things. I also started bleeding and I'm not sure if it's the start of an AF or just because I'm coming off hormones.

I doubt we'll go with the NFP because Neely is not sold on that at all. I've tried to convince him that it's safe, but he's not buying it. Thinks I'm trying to trick him into an "oops". We'll probably use the trusty old "pull and pray" method during my most fertile times, once I figure out my cycle and all.
November 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
That's funny because statistically, modern forms of NFP have a much higher effectiveness rate than pull & pray does. Maybe he's thinking NFP is the Rhythm or Calender Method? Those are not very reliable.
November 25th, 2009, 04:57 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
That's funny because statistically, modern forms of NFP have a much higher effectiveness rate than pull & pray does. Maybe he's thinking NFP is the Rhythm or Calender Method? Those are not very reliable.

I think NFP requires a lot of trust in a relationship. My dh and I were talking about it the other night when I told him he was in charge because I wasn't sure I could hold out and not try. He said back to me "it's not like I can take your temperature for you". I think that it is two fold the reason men get nervous with NFP/FAM, one they don't trust the method, and two they do not feel in control of the birth control.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresarunningmommy View Post
I think NFP requires a lot of trust in a relationship. My dh and I were talking about it the other night when I told him he was in charge because I wasn't sure I could hold out and not try. He said back to me "it's not like I can take your temperature for you". I think that it is two fold the reason men get nervous with NFP/FAM, one they don't trust the method, and two they do not feel in control of the birth control.
Yes, that is true. That's part of the reason I think it's really important for husbands to attend the classes with their wives. Then they can understand the science for themselves and see just how much control they do have, but it comes in the form of self control. A husband can't observe his wife's fertility for her, but he can understand how to read charts and how to apply the rules. Then they can review the chart together and the wife doesn't have to be good cop/bad cop about BD. When both understand how it all works, then each fertile day it's a mutual decision to wait or try. Plus, if the wife misunderstands something, there's a good chance her husband will catch it - two pairs of eyes going over things leads to higher effectiveness and more communication overall.
November 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah Teresa that's a really good point. My husband doesn't feel in control but is fully supportive. He gets frustrated when it's a no day and I swear sometimes he thinks I'm just making it up! But I'm like here...look at my chart!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search