HELP Whats going On?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has been 3 weeks since we have been able to BD and I'm extremely frustrated. I seriously considered just stopping BF and pumping and switching to formula so I can get some regularity but DH and I talked tonight and we decided to stick it out since we dont really have the $ to buy formula and the breastmilk is so much better for baby. That being said, I have a few questions.
Oh, and my instructor is gone for 2 weeks at a convention!!! NOOOO!!!

I'm having some days where I have no idea what to chart. Like today I wasn't dry but not wet either. But had alot of discharge that dried yellow and flaky. I went ahead and put sticky?? I mean the discharge itself was sticky...of course this would have been the 4th day of my BIP...oh well I guess.

I started taking Claritin a week ago. Could that be masking fertile CM or causing other changes? I didn't really think about it since it's a daily allergy med but I looked and it's actually an antihistamine..so it dries you up right? I did make a note a week ago that I started taking it. I've also been having the WORST reflux for the past 3-4 days...anyone know if that is a side effect of Claritin. I've had no diet or other changes. But it's so bad that I feel nauseous all the time. I actually took a preg. test which was negative thank goodness!!!! I think I'm going to stop the Claritin and see what happens.

My last ? is about the BIP. My instructor was saying based on my chart the past few weeks I may be having another sensation/discharge that can be added to my BIP if it continues for a couple weeks. So if I decide this new thing is my BIP, what about my old BIP....should that be considered potentially fertile now or should I just add to it?

Man, I sooo want to just get my period back so I can have some regularity and some idea of what to expect next! I've been frustrated before but it's never been 3 weeks and now today I'm back to square one again!
November 26th, 2009, 10:46 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hang in there Mary! This is very typical of post partum/BFing charting and I promise, it doesn't last forever! I've so been there!

An antihistamine can affect CM, so I would be cautious about establishing a new addition to your BIP while you're taking Claritin....unless the new sensation was included with your BIP before.

When you have a new sensation/discharge that hangs around for 2 weeks without change - then you just add it to your existing BIP. It's very normal for BFing moms to have more than one BIP observation.

If you have an nfpcharting.com account, feel free to click on my name under the Instructor list and I can go over your charting with you while your instructor is away.
November 27th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks! I chart using the WOOMB websites chart so I don't think I can add you. But thanks! So do you think I charted the sticky day correctly??
We had talked about adding to my BIP before I started the Claritin. For now I stopped taking it because of the reflux but should I start it again, or start a different med, do we need to basically take 2 weeks and establish a pattern?? Or just be extra cautious?
November 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
How many days of the possibly new BIP observation had you observed before the Claritin? And how did it change after you took the Claritin. It kind of all depends on the chart, so I can't really comment further without seeing it. Sorry! Hopefully your instructor gets back soon!
November 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Well for the past 2 weeks before the Claritin I had a few days of the possible BIP...but that's why i was confused. It was just random days, not continual and I always went back to my BIP after them which is why I was thinking to chart them as potentially fertile.
But then again I guess if they keep happening and never progressing that would be a new BIP right? lol confusing!!
I've noticed since I started the Clariting I've generally felt drier, and the discharge is drier. I stopped it yesterday so I guess I'll just see what happens!!
Thanks!
November 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Well, if the new observation consistently interrupts your existing BIP - you can add it after 2 weeks of charting that show the two observations switching back and forth. Until then, it's potentially fertile and gets a 1,2,3 count. But if you're only noticing the new observation once in a while rather than consistently - it's not BIP. A pattern of fertility is a changing pattern. A pattern of infertility is an unchanging pattern.

Does that make sense? I would say just keep charting it as potentially fertile until your instructor is back and can have a look at the chart. It's necessary to see the patterns to figure out if it's a new addition to the BIP or not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search