New!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Im Meagan, 20, SO is Dusty, 21, and we have a 20 month old daughter named Addi. A couple of you replied to my post in Teen Mommies and Mommies to be about NFP so I figured I would stop by here for some insight! I have always had really bad reactions to about every hormonal birth control I have tried. I first was on the pill and besides getting pregnant on it, I also would have just horrible cramps, bad breakouts, and although not a lot I had some weight gain. So after we had our little girl I got the mirena, on it I had the most horrible cramps you could ever imagine I would literally double over in pain. Not to mention I had spotting continuously the whole 5 months it was in, I would have a 'normal' period in between the spotting that was super heavy too. My dr said I was having an allergic reaction and took it out. I didnt use anything for awhile because I was scared of the reactions. But eventually I decided to try out the implanon which is what I have in now. My dr didnt put them in at that time so I had to go to the local clinic. Needless to say I have pretty much been bleeding constantly since having it in in April. I have maybe had like 3 weeks total of not bleeding since then. And that was a few days here, a few days there kind of thing. I kept going to the clinic about it and they kept telling me it was normal. Well my dr just started putting them in his patients so I asked him about it. He said it is definately NOT normal and suggests I have it taken out in a couple weeks at my next appointment. He is the one who actually suggested NFP to me. He said some peoples bodies just don't react well to ANY hormonal bc and I am one of them.

So...anyway I just ordered Taking Charge of Your Feritility, it should come in next week sometime. I am excited to read it. I was just wondering what kinds of methods yall use and what you suggest?

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

November 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that's cool that your doc suggested it! Most know nothing about it or think it totally doesn't work! I use the Billings Ovulation Method. It's a mucus only method and you chart sensation and discharge you observe throughout the day. I am learning through the online course. It's super easy. You sign up, your instructor contacts you and you begin!
Welcome!
November 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Hi meagan!!

I'm Kelly and I have two kids, Caleb (just turned 3) and Zoe (just turned 4 months). I'm using FAM as my method of choice and I LOVE it. I chose it mostly because my husband and I didn't want to abstain during our fertile times. Risky, but we're ok with that as long as we are careful.

I'm like you, can't handle hormonal BC and when I had my son, Shawna introduced it to me when she was a part of my DDC/PR.

I'm more familiar in terms of FAM then the other NFP methods, but they're pretty much the same really just a few variances.

Check out the FAQ/Resources portion of our board, and of course, ask any questions here. There are a few on here that are very knowledgeable so we/they should be able to answer any questions that you may have.

Looking forward to getting to know you more.
November 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! We also use the Billings Ovulation Method, which is quite different than what you'll learn in Taking Charge of Your Fertility. That's a great book though too, it will give you all the info you need to get going. I'm also an accredited instructor with the Billings Method in real life.
November 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Welcome! I'm Niamh ("NEE-iv"), I'm 25, married to Gwyddion (28), mom to almost-3-year-old Seamus ("SHAY-mus"), and am currently expecting a daughter due in January.

When TTC my daughter, I used FAM (as taught in TCOYF) and absolutely LOVED it. I definitely plan to use FAM after she's born as birth control. We chose FAM as opposed to NFP because we did not want to abstain during my fertile phases, so we will be using a diaphragm and spermicide during that time. I'll also be exclusively breastfeeding, so we will be using LAM at first.

I don't get bad side effects or anything like that from hormonal birth control... but I'm honestly just sick of using it. I'm sick of pumping artificial hormones through my body on a regular basis and I've heard far too many horror stories that I'm just no longer comfortable with HBC. Plus... I loved charting when TTC, so it's definitely something I want to continue.

December 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself.

I'm really surprised that your doc suggested the implants after a bad reaction to the mirena, since they are the same hormones in both, just delivered differently.
December 5th, 2009, 04:45 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr. didn't suggest it. When I got it put in he didn't put them in so I had to go to the clinic to get it. It was actually suggested to me by a friend who has one as well.

Oh and I was wrong. My dr doesn't even put them in now. I learned that at my appointment yesterday. He said he doesn't really trust it because of issues his previous patients had with the norplant when it was out.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search