Cervical Placement

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you check this? I consider myself pretty well informed in areas of female reproduction, pregnancy, etc but when I poke around in there I'm not sure what I'm feeling for. I always feel like maybe my fingers aren't look enough? That's dumb I know because doctors and midwives have been known to have short fingers also!

I feel like all I'm feeling are my vaginal walls? And I know it's supossed to feel like either the tip of your nose or ear tissue..but

anyone have any advice on this? I know it's not a crucial part of tracking your cycle, but since I'm EBF'ing and having long cycles (first pp cycle was 43 days) I would like to monitor this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well i am no expert at this but ill describe what i do and feel and maybe it will help you..

i shower around the same time most days and check while in there. I prop one leg up on the edge of the tub and kinda bend the other knee slightly.. and insert my middle finger and push up until i can feel my cervix .. which to me kinda feels like the end of a tube of tissue becuz i can feel the indentation of the cervix opening in the center of it.

for marking down placement if i can reach in and feel it easily ill mark it as low..
if i have to try a bit harder ill say medium height ..a nd then if im really reaching up there ill say high.. as for how it feels when its soft of firm you get used to your own body... but mine has a very silky squishy feeling when its soft, and when its firm is when it gets the "end of your nose" feeling to it.

i hope this helps you some

~Em

December 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
I check CP with my method.

Like Em, I check mine in the shower at around the same time of day. For me squatting is easier for me then putting one leg up on a stool. If you do that, you'll be able to tell changes in your cervical positioning easier, then if you were to check it at different times of the day because it does change throughout the day.

I also insert my middle finger (because it's the longest of the fingers), and feel around. If it's low it should be fairly easy to get to. That means you are infertile. If you check and it's a little higher up then the low point in your cycle, then you can probably put middle. If it's higher than usual or you can't feel it at all, it's high and you are potentially fertile.

Normally, your cervix will feel hard like the tip of your nose when you are infertile. As it makes it's way upward and higher, it will start to feel softer and your cervical os (the opening) will start to open up. The softness will start to feel pretty squishy.

When I feel for CP, I usually try to find the cervical os first, then feel around that for hardness or softness. The os is much easier to find because, well, it's a hole. LOL

Keep in mind that when we say hard or soft that doesn't mean wood vs pillow. It's going to have some hardness no matter what, but the overall feel will change and start to feel softer.
December 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks ladies! It will be shower time here shortly when DH gets home from work for lunch and I'll go exploring!! I think I'm just not reaching in far enough!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
December 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
I do believe I found my cervix...now it will just take practice determining what's high, medium, low, firm, soft, etc. I do think it's slightly open but that could be because DD is only 3.5m old. THank you so much!!!!! Squatting really helped, and I had to really relax and I felt all kinds of things shift around

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
December 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
LOL...well I'm glad that you were able to find things. It does take practice, but just remember to be consistent in the time as much as possible. Obviously, if you've got things to do, don't worry about it, but checking it at the same time each day does help.
December 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
haha.. good for you.

~Em

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search