NFP/Women's Health question kinda TMI...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM
yahtzeecat1981's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to yahtzeecat1981
So this is a half NFP half Womens Health question

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I started developing UTI type symptoms, I've never had one before so I went to the clinic on Monday when then opened up and was tested and sure enough I did have one so I was prescribed Cipro and I have to take that for 3 days...My NFP question is does this antibiotic interefer with NFP is anyway?

Now my Womens Health question is... I know it has only been a day but the burning has gotten almost 100% better but the pain in my lower back has gotten worse...I am just not being patient or should I be concerned? I am already schedueled for my regular yearly exam for tomorrow so I think I am going to try and hold out til then...my concern is that it wasn't a UTI but a kindey infection and was just misdiagnosed....

Thank You nvr.4.gtn for my PERFECT siggy!
December 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure about the NFP question but I can't imagine why it would get in the way? I could be wrong though..

About a year ago I was in your situation. I got a UTI and thought I could just drink lots of cranberry juice and it would clear it up... well I let it go and when I finally went into the ER unable to pee w/o cringing in pain they said I had big fat kidney infection too so I had to take monster antibiotics for two weeks instead of the little 3 day ones... I would tell your dr about it and see what they think.. but I know in my case sometimes UTI's CAN progress into your kidneys, after all they are connected. GL and hope you feel better soon

December 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NFP-wise, I don't think the Cipro should affect anything. Penicillin based antibiotics can enhance CM, making you produce much more than you normally do - but I'm pretty sure Cipro is not a penicillin based antibiotic.

If you are using an NFP method with temps, the infection itself might elevate your temps just enough to make it look like a thermal shift - so be sure to watch that carefully. Don't trust a thermal shift unless there is a CM Peak to correspond with it.

Healthwise, I think you can afford to wait until your appt tomorrow to ask about the possibility of a kidney infection. Unless it starts to get drastically worse before then, then go to the ER.
December 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
You should be able to wait.

I had a really bad UTI almost 10 years ago and I had pain in my back, my stomach, my sides, etc. I was in so much pain I couldn't do anything but cry and sit Indian style and rock back and forth. So it is possible to have back pain. The ER doctor told me I had the UTI of the Century. I was put on a pain pill and an antibiotic. One of them turned my pee blue - that was fun - LOL! Cranberry juice will help it. Actually if I think I might be getting a UTI (I seem to have a high chance of getting them) I just buy a bottle and drink it as much as I can and the symptoms go away.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

December 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
UTI's almost always cause me to have back pain too. You can tell if it's kidney pain by having someone put their hand on your back where the pain is and then tap their hand with their other hand. If you feel pain from the tapping, I would say it's a kidney infection. My daughter had one recently and we did that "test" on her before she went to the ER. But yeah, you should be able to wait till tomorrow.
December 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
yahtzeecat1981's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to yahtzeecat1981
Thanks ladies for the advice! You ladies are awesome! I made it through the night, it was hard to fall asleep though! Went to the Dr this morning and he thinks it may be strained ribs...he tapped on the place where my kidneys are and it was nowhere near where I was feeling the pain so he didn't feel it was a kidney issue! Yay!

Thank You nvr.4.gtn for my PERFECT siggy!
December 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh good! I hope you feel better soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search