Different methods to TTA

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Okay, so I thought I was going to learn BOM, and I still might. But, I was hoping to get some advice from you all first.

I know ovulation tests detect the surge that say we are going to ovulate. Would that be enough of an indicator to stop dtd in time?

BBT only shows you that you already ovulated, so I know that's only good to confirm that you're safe to not abstain or use protection.

CM shows a pattern of your individual fertility and show that ovulation is on it's way. I know that the BOM method is purely CM. But it just seems so confusing. And it seems you can't learn it on your own, you have to pay for a teacher. That's money I don't have right now.

What about CP? Can that give you enough warning?

Basically, what I'm wondering is if one sign is good enough for TTA, or if you need to use more than one.

December 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about it all that well but I would say the ONE sign you could go by is CM...but yeah it would be best to learn w/ an instructor. You can email them and ask them to waive the money for the time being. I think someone else on here just did that...
The OPKs I am totally not familiar with but I do know that you may try to ovulate and then not, or it could be delayed days or even weeks depending on what's going on in your life, etc. So maybe OPKs could cause confusion in that regards? But I guess if you were temping as well you'd get a confirmation. Also, you'd have to spend the $ on OPK all the time.
I guess that doesn't really answer much but just giving my thoughts. BOM isn't really that confusing once you get an instructor and get the hang of things! Hopefully some of the ladies who use the OPKs and temp can help you out more!
December 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Okay - first OPK's are expensive - you have to take them AT LEAST once a day for many days leading up to Ovulation. And if you are avoiding you still have to continue to avoid for 3-4 days after a positive test.

That being said - I am a pro-BOM/CM only avoider. LOL! It isn't as hard as you are probably thinking it is. I know I was there three years ago. And we didn't have to money to drop on it at the time. I know for sure that if you take the online course with the instructor then they will waive the fee for a period of time. I avoided with CM only for almost a year and half of that was while breastfeeding (and being up at least once a night for a feeding).

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

December 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyD View Post
I know ovulation tests detect the surge that say we are going to ovulate. Would that be enough of an indicator to stop dtd in time?
NO. Ovulation tests turn positive 12-36 hours before ovulation, CM can begin several days prior to that. When CM is present, sperm can live in your body up to 5 days. OPK's give you less than 2 days warning.

Quote:
CM shows a pattern of your individual fertility and show that ovulation is on it's way. I know that the BOM method is purely CM. But it just seems so confusing. And it seems you can't learn it on your own, you have to pay for a teacher. That's money I don't have right now.
It's not as confusing as it seems at first. But yes, it is easiest to learn from a teacher if you want to avoid confusion about it. You do have to put in a bit of time and effort to learn it well, but then you're set for life. You'll have all the information you need for any situation - TTA with normal cycles, TTA post partum or while BFing, TTC, perimenopause, etc. It's also really helpful to have someone to check in with as you go along, for personalized support.

As for the money, most teachers will waive their fees in times of financial hardship (no matter which method you opt for). Whether you contact a local teacher or pursue an online course, just explain your situation. When this comes up with my clients, I simply ask them to cover the cost of the materials ($15) and to consider making a donation to our association when their situation changes.

Quote:
What about CP? Can that give you enough warning?
Not really, because the CM can begin a day or two before you are able to detect a noticeable change in the CP. The CP can also fluctuate a fair bit, making it the most difficult sign to rely on. It's better to use it to confirm the other signs, but not in place of the other signs.

Quote:
Basically, what I'm wondering is if one sign is good enough for TTA, or if you need to use more than one.
One sign is good enough. If you opt for temps, then it simply means considering yourself potentially fertile from menstruation until you have 3 high temperatures in a row. It can be done,. Using CM only keeps it very simple once you learn how and also allows you to recognize your infertile days after menstruation. Of all 3 signs, CP is the only one I wouldn't recommend using alone.

I hope that helps.
December 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
mommy_tu_2's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy_tu_2 Send a message via Yahoo to mommy_tu_2
i just started BOM and i JUST got an istructor (like a week ago) for free. i wrote them and told them we couldnt afford it and they told me to just pay whenever i could and assigned an instructor to me (online)

Thank so much to Benevolent for my beautiful siggy!!! <3

December 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Well, I'd say that this confirms to me that I need to do BOM. Which is fine. I just have to suck it up and accept it! LOL

So, online instruction...is that woomb?

December 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, WOOMB
December 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup the woomb website it where I signed up...been using it for 5 months now

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search