Baby Names

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Did the names that you picked for you child(ren) change over the course of your pregnancy, or was it set in stone the moment you found out what you were having (or got pregnant if baby was a surprise)?

I had names picked out from when I was a teenager. We were pretty set for the most part when DH and I found out we were pregnant. But, with Caleb, when we found out he was a boy, that all went out the window. It was based on my MILs dislike for the name becuase it reminded her of an unruly child in their church. I bent and went with Caleb - and I couldn't see him as anything other. He was going to be a Zachary

For Zoe, I changed that too when i saw the name early in my pregnancy and never budged. Totally different from when I was a teenager though. She was going to be an April.
December 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
(here's where I explain the meanings and pronunciations of our children's names: pregnant_niamh: Rhiannon's Name (and Seamus' too))

We had Seamus Padraig Scott picked out shortly after we got married and started TTC. It took us almost 3 years to get pregnant with him, so there were some changes here and there, but "Seamus Padraig Scott" was finalized long before we even got pregnant with him.

Initially, we had planned on our first son being the only one with two middle names (Scott is my maiden name, and I really wanted to give it to my first son as a second middle name), but once he was born, we really liked the two-middle-name thing and decided to continue it with all our children.

Before finding out Seamus was a boy though, we had Rhiannon Siobhan picked out for a girl. Once we decided to give all our children two middle names, I found the name Caoimhe and fell in love with it (this was long before we started TTC again). That's when we finalized Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan if we were to have a girl in the future (and she's due to be born any day now, lol).

Our next son, if we have one will be Conan Iain Searlas. This name wasn't totally chosen when we got pregnant this time. We knew we wanted his first name to be Conan and one of his middle names to be Iain... but we had to compromise on the second middle name (I wanted Conan Aengus Iain in the beginning). But Conan Iain Searlas is now set in stone for when/if we have another boy. We chose the Iain Searlas middle names because Iain (said like Ian, "EE-in") is the Scottish form of John and Searlas ("shar-les") is the Irish form of Charles... my FIL's name is John Charles. Boy #2 will be named after my husband's father.

Our next daughter, if we have one will either be Brigid Gwenhwyfar Aine or Brigid Gwyneira Aine. I'm going to let my husband make the final vote there if/when we have another daughter. She'll be named after both of us... as my middle name is Guinevere (Gwenhwyfar is the the original version of Guinevere) and my husband's name is Gwyddion. Aine (AWN-yuh) is after my mom. Her middle name is Ann, and Aine (while not technically related to the name Ann), is often seen as the Irish version of Anna.

Last edited by Niamh ૐ; December 30th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
December 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Your names are just so unique. Half the time I don't even know how to pronounce your son's name. LOL I never would have guessed SHAY-mus. Rhiannon, I know. I have a friend whos' name is Rhiannon but she goes by Rhi (REE)

Why the celtic slants if I may ask? Just curious. I love the uniqueness of it all.

ETA: Never mind. I found my answer after reading your entry slowly.

One of these days I'd like to go back to the "home" country. My paternal grandfather is 50% Irish and being the rest of me is "mutt" that's the biggest part of me. Ireland is so beautiful anyway. One of these days, I'm going to get there.
December 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Thanks

Yeah, I'm mostly Scottish on my dad's side (German/Swedish/Welsh, and a bunch of other stuff on my mom's side, lol... but my dad's side is mostly Scottish, and I tend to identify with that side more). My husband is mostly Irish, with some Scottish and English. Our name choices definitely reflect our heritage.

My name, btw is pronounced "NEE-iv". Niamh is Irish and means "bright, radiance". In the Irish and Scottish languages, "mh" usually makes a "v" sound.

"Se" and "si" make an "sh" sound (ie Sean- "SHAWN"; Sinead- "shi-NAYD"; Siobhan "sha-VAWN"; Seamus- "SHAY-mus", etc etc).

"aoi" is usually an "ee" or "wee" sound, depending on dialect (Caoimhe- "KEE-vuh" or in some Irish areas, "KWEE-vuh"... we say it like the former though).

Once you're familiar with some of the particulars of the language, the spellings make perfect sense.

It's funny though because when we chose Seamus' name, we didn't think we were picking such a hard name. I was under the impression that most Americans were familiar with the name Seamus (maybe not AS familiar as they are with Sean, but I thought most had heard the name before... it's in a lot of popular culture things afterall). While we like a lot of the hard-to-pronounce Celtic names, we try to pick easier to pronounce names as first names, ya know? So I was actually totally surprised at how many people we've come across who have never heard/seen the name Seamus before, lol.

And it's totally crazy to me that I get asked how Rhiannon is pronounced! I thought that one was really easy! Especially it being a well-known Stevie Nicks song as well. But maybe they assume that since me and Seamus' names are not said how they look (in English), they assume Rhiannon's name is pronounced differently too? lol, I have no idea.

December 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Well go you. It's awesome that you stick with your heritage. That is totally cool.
December 31st, 2009, 12:02 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brylie was going to be Emersyn - Ann (Her middle name) was NOT negotiable! Ann is my mom's middle name and she passed away when I was 17.

A boy was going to be Hunter Samuel, and if our next is a boy that will be his name. DH is Sam(uel)

Our next girl at this point will be Zoey (I like Y's in my girl names, can you tell?) Leigh...Leigh is Brylie's godmother's middle name. (I want Zoey Paige just because I like it, but DH wants to name them after people)

DH wants the next girl to be Zoey Jo (His mom's name is JoAnn) but I can't get on board with Zoey Jo...if we have a third girl I want to name Her Morgyn/gan Jo and call her Mo so we'll see where we end up

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Super Mommy
When I was in high school I liked all kinds of really unique names, but my more traditional husband put a stop to that when we got married lol. I still like to go for names that aren't super popular (considering my name - Jessica - was number 1 the year I was born so I knew tons of other Jessicas growing up). We really like naming after people in our family. Genevieve was always pretty set in stone - it's my husband's grandmother's name and I love it. Our boy name was Seth Christopher (after DH), but I hated the idea of anyone calling him Junior. So our compromise was that he would go by Christopher.

Our next pregnancy we'll use the same boy name, and for a girl I just know that the middle name will be Renee, which is my sister's middle name (and my mom's sister's middle name). I also want to name another boy Brian Allen (first name is my grandfather's and middle name is my father's). So we already have lots of names picked out lol!
Jessica ~ Mommy to Genevieve ~ Expecting #2 October 5th!

January 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Addi's name changed a lot during my pregnancy. When we first found out we had the name Alexis picked out, but Dusty wanted to call her Lexi and I used to have a cat named Lexi and I didn't want to think of my cat everytime I looked at my daughter. Then I had picked out Adalia and to call her Addi, but he HATED that name. We finally settled on Addisen Grace.

Its a good thing she wasn't a boy because we never finalized a boy name, he wanted Priest (yes Priest I know he is insane) or Gabriel. I wanted Avery or River.

Niamh I love the names you have picked out! My family is primarily Irish (My dad is 3/4 Scotts-Irish and 1/4 French and my mom is Irish, Welsh, and Pequot Indian) so we have our share of unique names. I have a cousin named Conn and a cousin named Seamus. Conn loves the Celtic legend of Conn of the hundred battles lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

January 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
This post is so perfect for me today cuz this is the topic. All 3 of the other kids were just boom done name picked. This one, if it is a boy has been a challenge.

January 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
See, I could feel the vibe was coming, so this thread was made solely for you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search