Hello, new to FAM

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
MzRoo's Avatar Veteran
I am joining up here because i've decided to use the FAM method. I have the book Taking Charge of your Fertility that everyone seems to recommend. I've actually had it for a good while but never actually read it. It looked kind of intimidating however since I haven't achieved pregnancy in the year we've been TTC I am going to stop giving it a half assed shot and just really go for it.

So, my name is Amanda and i'm married to Joseph. We've been married for a year and a month and still feel like newlyweds Have been wanting to start a family ever since we got married with no luck so here's to hoping that I can get this FAM stuff down and let's make a baby!

January 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
LOL...Well howdy do Amanda.

I also use FAM as my method, and I've been very pleased with it. I used to to TTC our daughter with success, although I did have a little help from my OB because I had some buildup of tissue in my tubes, so it was making it harder, but we did eventually get pregnant.

It's best to really try to figure out your cycles before you do start TTC, and that is because you want to know what your body is doing beforehand. You need to know when you actually ovulate (you may be one to ovulate sooner or later rather than the by the book "Day 14". I've learned that I don't ovulate until around day 18,19 by using FAM.

I recommend going at least 4 cycles to really get the hang of charting, but it's best to wait 6 cycles or more. I don't know if you want to wait 6 cycles or not, which is why I suggest 4.

FAM is an awesome method I have to say. I prefer not to abstain during my fertile cycles which is why I chose the method I did.

GL and we're here to help you on this awesome journey. Who knows, we might help you make your baby by looking at your charts
January 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and best wishes TTC! FAM is going to help you understand your body a lot so you can maximize the chances of conception!
January 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
MzRoo's Avatar Veteran
Thank you ladies. I still am not for sure when I ovulate so I am hoping that I can finally figure that out. This year i'm taking a more positive approach to this TTC business so even if I have to monitor myself for four months (gasp! 6 sounds like a lot) then I will do what it takes..

BTW, I have started reading the book and i'm starting to feel better already

January 3rd, 2010, 10:50 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! Im Meagan, 20, SO is Dusty, 21, we have a 21 month old daughter, Addisen. We use FAM too, but it is too TTA. We just started since I just got my implanon out last week! Good luck! I hope you get your BFP soon!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

January 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Welcome!

I'm Niamh, 25; married to Gwyddion, 28; mom to 3-year-old Seamus; and 38 weeks pregnant with Rhiannon ("Rain").

We used FAM when TTC Rain and I was just utterly amazed (and kind of embarrassed) when learning about all the details of fertility that I never knew about (and I've always considered myself pretty knowledgeable when it came to sex and reproduction... so realizing how little I *actually* knew was quite a shock). We plan to also use FAM (in conjunction with a diaphragm during my fertile periods) to avoid after my daughter is born.

When I started charting, it took one "practice" cycle to really get the hang of temping (I was using the wrong kind of thermometer, and temping at the wrong times... so I had crazy temps that didn't make ANY sense, lol)... but once I fully understood everything, my future charts looked a lot more clear. Figuring out how to tell the difference between my CM quality and my cervical position took about another cycle, but everything eventually came together for me, and charting was something I've come to really enjoy.

It took us six cycles (not including the first "practice" cycle) to conceive... which is WAY faster than it took us with our son, whom I was not charting with (took us almost 3 years to conceive him), so six cycles was nothing compared to that... and funny enough, one of the only things that made me sad about actually getting pregnant was that I wouldn't be charting anymore, LOL. Definitely plan to continue charting (for TTA) after the baby's born.

Good luck with TTC!! *baby dust*

January 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
MzRoo's Avatar Veteran
Thank you for sharing Niamh! I feel a LOT more positive now. I love hearing these stories. Hopefully i'll get myself educated and we'll get our baby

January 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
the one thing to remember is to be consistent.

- Temp at the same time each day - no wavering if possible.
- If you decide to check CP, do it the same time of day, same position (squat, standing up with one leg up, etc)
- Chart your CF at the end of the day ( I find that you have more fertile like qualities through out the day rather then checking it just once a day at the same time. It will be different at all times of the day, so doing it at night before you go to bed will give you the best idea as to where you are. You might have egg-white like quality CM in the morning, but then you might have sticky, gummy CM during the rest of your day. Always chart your most fertile CM for the day. It doesn't necessarily mean that you missed your timing or anything.
January 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
MzRoo's Avatar Veteran
What kind of thermometer do you recommend? Or is there a thread on this you can direct me to. I don't have one. Before all this I attempted to use one of those ovulation predictor boxes but the line never got darker than the test line for me =/ TIA!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search