New Here, would like info on NFP

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to liltxmomma Send a message via MSN to liltxmomma
I have heard of NFP before, and i kind of 'get it', but i am looking for some more info, details on what and how you chart, what do you do if you have sex while you're fertile? or do you just stay abstinent during your fertile times? I currently have a Mirena IUD, i have had it over a year now but i have an appointment next week to get it removed. I just can not stand the side effects any longer. I am still BFing my 16 month old, so i am not sure what , if any pills i can take, or how effective they would be. I am at a loss on what to do, I really do not want to get pregnant again, especially not anywhere in the near future. I have 3 kids, ages 5, 3, and 16 months. Sorry this post is so long, but i guess what i am asking for is 1. how to practice NFP and 2. How has it worked for you? any personal advice you can share. Thank you in advance!

Also, i am not sure how i can chart, i'm assuming my cycles will be wonky when i first get my IUD out (heck, they are wonky with it IN) and im still nursing. so what should i do?

January 8th, 2010, 08:49 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltxmomma View Post
but i am looking for some more info, details on what and how you chart, what do you do if you have sex while you're fertile? or do you just stay abstinent during your fertile times?
We wait. Charting and using a barrier on fertile days is actually the Fertility Awareness Method or FAM, not NFP. The biggest difference is that with a barrier, the chance of pregnancy from sex on a fertile day is reduced. Abstinence on a fertile day as with NFP means the chance of pregnancy is nearly eliminated. Deciding between FAM or one of the kinds of NFP really just comes down to how necessary it is for you to avoid pregnancy at this time and how comfortable you are with the possibility of barrier failure. That's something it would be good to discuss with your DH.

Quote:
1. how to practice NFP
The easiest and most effective way to learn is by taking a class or course. You can do this face to face, by home study program, or online. It's much easier when you have someone who can walk you through the learning process step by step and offer personalized support. You can teach yourself, but it's much more confusing, takes longer, and chance of pregnancy is higher. We didn't have much support when we first learned and it was very confusing. After #2 arrived just 12 months after #1, we worked closely with a teacher. We realized just how lost we had been before, but we thought we knew what we were doing at the time! Her support is what led me to become a teacher myself, I teach the Billings Ovulation Method.

Quote:
2. How has it worked for you? any personal advice you can share. Thank you in advance!
It's worked perfectly for us. Each different kind of NFP has a different effectiveness rate. We opted for Billings because it's 99% effective. We also chose that one because it's the easiest to use with my complicated cycles, I have PCOS - so very irregular. We've never conceived while following the rules, only when we knowingly took a chance. That's the same as anything else though, if you don't use it the way it's mean to be used, there's a higher chance it won't work. LOL

Quote:
Also, i am not sure how i can chart, i'm assuming my cycles will be wonky when i first get my IUD out (heck, they are wonky with it IN) and im still nursing. so what should i do?
Cycle regularity is not necessary to chart. It's not even necessary to have cycles at all, many breastfeeding Moms are able to do it before their cycles return. NFP means you get to evaluate your fertility each day as it happens, so you know every day whether you are potentially fertile or not. When things are more irregular - like while you're recovering from the Mirena and BFing, it simply becomes extra important to have support. A teacher can walk you through it step by step!

Don't forget to read through the Resource and FAQ Stickies! Lots of information in there!
January 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to liltxmomma Send a message via MSN to liltxmomma
Thank you for your information! I have been glancing through the stickies (i just wrote stinkies lol) and i am thinking we will go with the Billings added w/possibly temp charting? I want to make sure i do not end up pregnant, obviously we would be ok but i have my hands rull right now with our 3, and living inJapan away from family and friends. Anyway i'm sure i will have more questions and look forward to hearing from others! thank you so much!

January 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Shawna couldn't have said it any better than I could. Thanks Shawna.

I use the FAM method. It's using a barrier during fertile days although as of late, we've been abstinent, so that's a great barrier. LOL.

FAM has worked great for me for abstaining as well as TTC. I've always known what my body was going to do, and I've been so intuned with my body that I can just about tell when I've ovulated because my body temp increases. It's an amazing feeling when you know before you even temp.
January 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Stinkies! That's funny!
January 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! My daughter is 7 months old and I just got my first post partum bleed. I use the Billings Method and have been using it since she was a few weeks. It works very well for irregular cycles, ie breastfeeding so I highly recommend it. I signed up online and have been learning with an instructor. It has been SO helpful and when I was very skeptical she has always been right and has given me great information.
Good luck with everything and welcome again!!
January 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Welcome!

I use the Billings Method as well. It worked great for us. I had an instructor through their online course.

Best of luck choosing your method and instructor.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search