How Long...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2010, 07:42 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
did it take you to fully understand your method of choice?
January 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmmm, the first time around - we never really did understand it properly. We had really poor instruction and no follow up. The second time, when we learned it all properly - I would say it took about 6 months to before I started feeling really confident. At the first follow up, I had to make a lot of corrections to my charting and we'd been applying the rules wrong. After that there were fewer and fewer corrections each time we met with the teacher, so I knew I was getting the hang of it. I was post partum then, so I kept testing like crazy to make sure it was working! LOL
January 18th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
About 2 cycles. The first cycle, wowzers... it was so crazy. I was using an ear thermometer , AND I was temping after I had already gotten up, gone to the bathroom, and come out into the living room. So my temps were ALL over the place, haha. Add to that... I couldn't even find my cervix, let alone check CM or CP.

I've come to look at that first chart as my "practice" chart and don't even count it in my "TTC charts".

The second chart, I figured out I was using the wrong type of thermometer and figured out when was the right time I needed to temp. My temps were SO much clearer that cycle. At the end of my period, I could FINALLY find my cervix (it was nice and low since I was still on my period), and then I knew what I was looking for! I was finally able to start checking CM and CP. It took about a cycle and a half to be able to tell the differences between the different qualities of CM and to tell the CP's apart. But after that cycle and a half I got it.

The next chart after that, I was sick... so I had to rely on CM and CP (and OPK tests), instead of temps, and I believe I was able to accurately figure out when I ovulated. It was at that point (being sick and still being able to determine when I ovulated, or at least when I was most fertile) that I really felt like I knew what I was doing.

January 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Super Mommy
We took the CCL classes about 6 months or so before we got married, and I was really confused for about 4 or 5 months. That was before they changed the curriculum, and there were so many different rules to keep track of. Right before we got married I got a copy of the new edition of the CCL student book, and things finally clicked! The rules were condensed, which was a huge help, and there were COLOR pictures of CM in the book! Really gross to look at, but that's what I was struggling with the most so it was really helpful. After a few months using that book I finally started feeling confident with NFP.
Jessica ~ Mommy to Genevieve ~ Expecting #2 October 5th!

January 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
I understood the concept and theory of FAM just from reading the book but it was probably four or five cycles before I felt confident that I was applying the rules correctly and new what each of my symptoms meant for me.

January 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
*Lindsay*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am still learning, but think the average sounds like 4-5 cycles, and think that I can see that being the same for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search