CM question

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2011, 09:09 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Obviously this is going to be TMI - sorry!

I just got my period back from breast feeding - my most recent period was my second so far. My last cycle was 43 days, and I ovulated on day 30.

Today is CD16. I usually check internally to chart my CM and have always had an accurate result. But the last few days have thrown me for a loop.

1) There's a lot of CM. Way more than usual.
2) When I (ahem) wipe after using the restroom, there is CM on the TP that looks like EWCM. It's milky colored and very stretchy. BUT when I check internally, I get a creamy result. on CD13 I thought I could write down "wet" based on the toilet paper, but again - internally it was creamy.

Which is it? We are TTA, and I know the default answer is "avoid if you don't want to get pregnant and you're not sure" - which is a fairly obvious conclusion that I came to on my own. I just want to know what my cycle is doing, and I'm a bit confused.
June 25th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ALWAYS chart your most fertile CF. At least that's the rule I live by.

June 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup. You chart your most fertile sign. But the look of the discharge shouldn't effect the sensation...like you were saying you wanted to chart "wet" but the discharge was creamy. If you felt wet, chart wet. And then chart the look.

That is one of the reasons I use BOM. No internal investigation...only what you feel and see. So if it were me I would be charting: wet, milky, EW.
June 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
That's what I've been doing. Thanks, ladies!
June 26th, 2011, 10:03 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What you find internally and what you find externally are supposed to be different, because the CM goes through important changes as it moves from the inside to the outside over glands called the Pockets of Shaw. The Pockets of Shaw change the CM in response to your hormones. SO...the bottom line is that you should really just stick with one way of checking CM to reduce the confusion. The most accurate way is external sensation. And like the others said, go with the most fertile observation of the day, not the most frequent.
June 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
I was also taught to go with the most fertile and to stick with only 1 method of checking. I always go with what's on the loo paper as I don't want to introduce bacteria by checking internally.

I also go with 5 dry days vs the 3 some books say. I find 5 dry days really helps stay away from O.

I think the first few cycles of PPAF can be really confusing because your hormones are working overtime trying to get back to normal.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
June 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Hey Kes, nice to see you back here. I think these ladies have covered it though.

June 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Hey Kes! How are you?

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

June 28th, 2011, 07:49 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I always check internally, and record those results. But I was really confused by what I was finding before I got to check internally. so I just recorded both results on my make-shift calendar (I don't really CHART, just keep track. I find charts too confusing to my eyes) until I sorted things out. I did not 100% abstain from "activities" though so we'll see what happens, I guess! lol The mixed signals have stopped, and I'm 98% certain that I am now "officially" in my fertile window.

I've noticed before that it was a bit different on the paper then internally, but I've never had it be THIS different - least fertile signs internally, most fertile signs externally. PP cycles suck.
June 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Are you at all interested in having an instructor coach you through the guidelines for PP charting, so it's not as confusing?
June 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I've looked into it, and all the options are too expensive for our budget at the moment. So far my version of charting hasn't failed me. It involves a calendar, a pen, and three high lighters.

This is the first month I've encountered in the last four years of FAM that I've ever been confused by my CM results. However, for a good portion of those four years I was pregnant or breast feeding. This is my first time coming back to fertility from breast feeding, too. All my other PP cycles were normal, including last month. This month is just screwy.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; June 28th, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
June 28th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Oh ok! Well just in case you ever want some extra assistance, you can keep in mind that most charting instructors will waive the fees if finances are tight. All you have to do is let them know your situation.
June 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Oh, that's neat.. maybe I will have to talk to them about it. Thank you!
June 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
They waved most of the fees for me for example

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search