Which charting software do you trust more?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
FF or TCOYF?

I've been using both and I like that tcoyf offers so much more than FF. Right now I have two different O dates according to each software, FF at cd14 and TCOYF at cd12. I'm thinking tcoyf is correct because FF first had my O date at cd12 with dotted cross hairs then changed it to solid cross hairs at cd14 with the rest of my temps. I also wonder how accurate are my temps since reading Shawna explain how sleeping with an open mouth can have an effect on your temps. I'm just glad I got O dates this month with both, last month was strange with temps.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

July 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
THE angry uterus
Hands down TCOYF. FF is just far too often incorrect with O and changes O dates too often.
July 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Yeah I like TCOYF better. I've been using both as well and FF changes my O date all the time from one day to the next. It also changes depending upon the type you use (Advanced, FAM,...).

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

July 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
TCOYF for sure. All the way. It's based on actual science and studies on fertility. FF is based on some science plus some wacky calculations from outer space. As a result of that, the interpretations are often inaccurate. FF is definitely not recommended for TTA, it evens says so.
July 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
THE angry uterus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
plus some wacky calculations from outer space.
So that's how they come up with O! I often wonder since their 'coverline' always has temps above it and they just often do NOT make sense anyway! Outer space... Its all becoming clear now!
July 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM
booboobunny's Avatar mzdee
Tcoyf !

Me - Daynuh

July 4th, 2011, 02:27 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Never, FF over like anything.

July 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, TCOYF is way better, but it is really important to know what you're doing WITHOUT the software telling you. As much as I like it, it isn't infallible by a long shot and sometimes you will have to tinker with the settings to get the right results - but you only know you need to do that if you already know what it should say.

July 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
but it is really important to know what you're doing WITHOUT the software telling you.

YES!!! There is no charting program that is an adequate substitute for knowing how to read and interpret your own chart!
July 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
THE angry uterus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Yeah, TCOYF is way better, but it is really important to know what you're doing WITHOUT the software telling you. As much as I like it, it isn't infallible by a long shot and sometimes you will have to tinker with the settings to get the right results - but you only know you need to do that if you already know what it should say.
Very nicely put!! I think the software helps to learn what you are looking for, but you definately need to know how to do it and interpret it without the software!
July 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
TCOYF for me. I don't temp and just rely on cervical fluid and TCOYF has always been right on target with me. I use Linux now and can't use the software so I just use FF as a CF counter/chart.

I get recurrent fevers, so my temps would be insane for FF and it'd probably crash and implode.

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
July 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
TCOYF for sure. All the way. It's based on actual science and studies on fertility. FF is based on some science plus some wacky calculations from outer space. As a result of that, the interpretations are often inaccurate. FF is definitely not recommended for TTA, it evens says so.
Yeah, I know not to use them for TTA, that's why I moved over to TCOYF. I had only re joined FF to help my friend who was TTC understand it better. I'm sticking to TCOYF from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Yeah, I'm noticing that I have to adjust the chart settings to get the best results. Last month I had to go off of CM alone, this month I got my O date going off of both. It's been a while since I charted so I don't remember everything, but I do feel I recall enough.

Thank you ladies.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

July 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Are you still charting now that your status is changing?

July 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah I am so that I can know what's going on. I started charting in order to better know my body, so I'll keep with it for that reason alone. I guess my status is more TTC, I'm just not being active about it. Like no OPKs and I'm not going to rush to BD because I think I'm O'n. My plan is to just be natural and let nature take it's course if it's in the cards for us or not.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

July 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM
THE angry uterus
lmao, Liz, that is awesome. Love the FF ticker with the TCOYF chart link!
July 22nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I wanted to be able to show my cycle days but link to the good chart. I know how to tweak codes.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

July 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
hehe, very cute, I like it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search