Newlywed seeking advice

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hi all -- My DH and I were married last month. While this is going on our fourth month charting, NFP and DTD all still feels so new to us. What have been your experiences using NFP? Why do you use NFP? Any advice for newcomers is appreciated. Thanks!
August 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Hello and welcome to the board! I am Rachel and have been using FAM (charting but using barriers during fertile times) since 2007. We used hormonal birth control the first 2 years of our marriage, but it was the worst decision ever!! I ended up hospitalized and everything because of the hormones. We didn't want to have children at that point in our lives, so we were introduced to NFP and FAM.

Our experiences with it are amazing. We had to do a lot of communication to choose between FAM and NFP. We had to communicate when I was fertile. We had to be absolutely trusting of each other. We grew so close because of this decision.

The transition to TTC was seamless. We didn't have to get off of medications or anything. We just needed to change our habits.

I can't say that it is always perfect. Needing to abstain or use a barrier during fertile times can be frustrating. It takes self control and sometimes it is REALLY hard. But, I wouldn't change this and I am excited to start charting again once Marsela is born.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love FAM! My advice is to be careful and not make decisions in the heat of the moment. FAM and NFP work if you follow the rules. The more seriously you need to avoid, the more stringently you need to adhere to them. As soon as you get lax or sloppy, you are a shoo in for a pregnancy!

But it's awesome. And the bonus is that when you TTC, you already know so much about your cycle!

August 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Did you get instruction? Instruction is key to getting it. I still feel shaky sometimes, but yet I trust it completely. I use BOM, what method do you use?

August 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the words of advice, everyone. We're using CM and BBT methods. What is BOM? I didn't see that on the abbreviation list.

We have not received formal instruction, but we've read a couple NFP books together, including The Art of Natural Family Planning. We hope to take a class when we've settled (we're living between states right now). We would do a "home-study" class together, but it seems a little pricey to pay a required $70 "donation" for a class and not have an actual teacher with first-hand experiences!

Has anyone taken a home-study NFP class? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it?
August 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, the correct instruction w/ a personal instructor is KEY! I use BOM as well (Billlings Ovulation Method) and it is wonderful!!! You can actually do instruction online too! Thats what I have done adn it is awesome. I work via email.
August 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I do the online instruction she mentioned and I will attest that it started a little rocky cuz my instructor was like never around, but we came to a good place and I've learned. I did the books for a long time, but nothing is like an instructor. I have done it through WOOMB if you're interested. It is mucus only no temperatures needed.

Well sensation/mucus.

August 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Coming late, but we've used NFP our whole marriage (10 years). We struggled the most when we didn't understand how to use it very well. What increased our confidence (and NFP's reliability) the most was learning from an instructor, step by step. We experienced a lot of confusion and frustration when we were trying to figure it out by ourselves. The books and websites don't notice when you're misunderstanding something the way an instructor can when you go over charts together - by email, phone, Skype, whatever! We also use the Billings Ovulation Method, but we tried 2 other types of NFP first. I have PCOS, which makes for more complicated cycles. Billings keeps it simple for us, even when my cycles are a mess at times.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search