TTA with BFing and an ovulation microscope

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Rochelle
Hello,

I've intro'd here before but haven't really been back. For the past while we'd been using spermicide suppositories up until a month ago when I decided they freak me out. I have this irrational fear that I'll get pg while using them and have a malformed baby bc of it. So, we have therefore DTD lots this month with no protection other than BFing an 11 m/o pretty regularly.

Today I returned to my quest of pricing fertility monitors out of fear that we'd make baby #4 before we're ready. OMGoodness, they are not affordable for us ATM. However, I ran across the "Ovulite" ovulation microscope. (affordable) We used to use one back when we were TTC #2 and it seemed to be pretty reliable though I actually did not get pg until we quit TTC and were NTNP. Anyways, eventually the light burned out on it.

I should now mention that I have not gotten my first PPAF yet so Ovulation may sneak up on me and well, make a baby. So, I was thinking I could maybe just use the microscope everyday and if I start seeing ferns we could abstain from sex. Then, once I get my first PPAF (should be in the next few months) charting will be my method of BC with the microscope as added help.

Has anyone here ever been in my shoes with TTA with BFing and using a microscope?

August 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Havent used a microscope but I've have used the Billings ovulation method very successfully this time around! It helped immensely to have my own personal instructor!!
August 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Microscopes are not the most reliable thing, and they won't tell you if ovulation is successful or not - just that your body is trying. To be a little more reliable, you would need to abstain while you have ferning and for 3 days afterwards. But that could also result in a lot most abstinence than is actually necessary.

I'd recommend learning a method of NFP, then that first PP ovulation won't catch you off guard. You can use the avoiding rules before AF comes back and it's more reliable than a fertility microscope would be.
August 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Rochelle
Thank you for the responses. I guess it's a good thing then that CVS didn't have a microscope in stock. I am more than willing to do a method of NFP right now. I just didn't think there would be any that would be reliable with me not having had PPAF yet.

The billings method sounds awesome but it really isn't feasable for me to get an instructor. Is there any other way for me to learn it? I mean, I do know some about charting (basal temp, cervix, CM). What worries me about that is I just didn't think it was possible to know for sure I'm not about to Ovulate bc of the BFing. But, I guess it's my only choice. I'll start tomorrow with fertilityfriend then. Also, I picked up a pg test to use in the morning for good measure. (I don't think I am or anything but I like to periodically check since I don't get AF).

August 23rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Just be forewarned that FF isn't designed for TTA. It doens't have a comprehensive enough list of mucus observations and it often interprets charts poorly.

You can learn BOM (and most other types of NFP) long distance with an instructor, by phone, Skype, or email if there are no instructors near you. Several ladies here have learned that way, including myself before I trained as an instructor. There are centers in 150 countries around the world, you just have to call the head office in whatever country to see if classes are offered near you.

You can use any type of NFP before your first PPAF. You simply track your CM and can tell every day whether you're potentially fertile or not. Then you apply the rules for TTA based on your daily observations. No cycles necessary, just daily observations. The Billings method is 99%, even before PPAF while BFing. It's simply a matter of learning how to do it properly, which is where the instructor comes in.

Let us know if you have any other questions!
August 23rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I learned BOM online with an instructor. And she even got them to waive most of the fee, I think I could have got them to waive the entire fee if their communication channels weren't so bad, but I was willing to pay $25. My instructor and I have been working together for nearly a year for only $25 online...we'll never meet she lives in New Zeland(???? possibly Australia...), I'm in Idaho, USA.

August 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Rochelle
Well, day 3 of charting on FF and they think watery CM is fertile. My cervix is high and actually seems soft and not too closed. I'm starting to wonder if it'd be ok to DTD with DH today or not. I BF a lot still but milk doesn't come down more than twice a day so it's like she's getting small snacks throughout the day and only a couple real meals. She eats 3 meals a day of table food daily. I'd just be very surprised if I was really about to ovulate already so I'm confused about why my body is reading fertile. I suppose my body could be trying to ovulate over and over. WWYD?

This is kinda nerve-wracking.

Thanks for all the help
August 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Well, you are describing all fertile signs. CM, high, soft, open. If I was needing to not become pregnant, I would not DTD with those signs. Plus, you are at the point in breastfeeding that a lot of women have ovulated or are going to start ovulating again soon.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Rochelle
Thanks Rachel.

I think my body is trying to ov and not able to bc I'm still BFing so much that my hormones won't get me through an Ov. Reason I say that is today my cervix is lower but still soft and slightly open. My CM is had to determine kinda creamy though. My temps are pretty even so ??

I'll just have to keep charting until things start making sense which may not be until after my 1st PPAF.
August 28th, 2011, 12:45 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Creamy for me always means not o time.

August 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
For now, you must consider any type of CM as fertile. Then once you've been keeping a record for a longer period of time, you can determine if some of your observations are actually infertile discharge or not. It's really important to do this with an instructor, because each woman's mucus patterns are different. "Creamy" might be infertile discharge for Cristen, but it can be highly fertile CM for another woman. It all depends on each individual chart. To tell the difference between fertile CM and infertile discharge, it's also really important to use an actual NFP chart to record your CM. FF isn't designed for avoiding pregnancy, so it doesn't have a good list of mucus descriptions to choose from - just a basic list. The basics is all you need for TTC, but more detail is necessary for avoiding.
September 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Rochelle
My Ovulation Chart

Today they gave me crosshairs.. This morning my cervix was so high I couldn't even reach the opening but it felt rather hard. I'm really confused on that.

My DH has taken an "it's in God's hands perspective/NTNP" and I'm not against that so... Well, that's why all the "dangerous" BD days that you may notice in my chart.

Still considering the Billing's instructor, I'm looking into it.

I'm all for using something other than FF. Any recommendations for a free online NFP chart?

Thanks again, y'all have been more than helpful!
September 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPeridot View Post
My Ovulation Chart
My DH has taken an "it's in God's hands perspective/NTNP" and I'm not against that so... Well, that's why all the "dangerous" BD days that you may notice in my chart.
Well, if it's not that big a deal if you conceive right now...you probably don't need to go through the whole process of working with an instructor. Don't get me wrong, the knowledge is a GREAT thing to have - but you can always do that down the road if it becomes more important to avoid pregnancy than it is now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search