kinda interested in natural family planning

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm looking for some info. I had my first child 2 weeks ago, her birth was less than ideal and has left me wondering if I really want more children. Dh and I agreed on 4 but now I'm not so sure. I'm kinda weighing my options before I go back to the Dr for my PP check up. Nara was concived on perfectly taken birth control pills and I won't risk taking them again.

I guess I'm not looking for anything perminant and someone suggested I check here. I'm also concidering IUD's and the implant.

I guess my questions are how does NFP work? Is it hard? What would I need? Really how reliable is it? I REALLY do not want another oops baby.

August 27th, 2011, 11:27 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Well, first off welcome. Second make sure to check out our FAQs sticky, it'll help some of your questions.

What happened with her birth if you don't mind me asking?

As for how NFP works, it depends on which version you choose to do. I, and many of the other members here on the board use BOM (Billings Ovulation Method ). It is not hard once you've been doing it for a while. The best way to do it is to do it with an instructor though and then you know you'll be doing it right. As for needs, your body and a chart for billings that's it...and hopefully as already mentioned an instructor (mine is online BTW, so it wasn't a class I had to GO TO or anything, and skype or e-mail instructors seems to also be available. With proper instruction and use W.H.O. says it is 98.5% effective. So about the same as birth control except you're more aware...because with birth control if you take it every day you ASSUME it is doing its job, in this case it is you doing the job.

August 28th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I tryed very hard for a natural birth and ended up with drugs and a c-section after 32 hours of (in the hospital) labor.

Most of the links are broken in the find an instructor section. I wasn't aware it was something I had to pay for/couldn't learn about on my own. I guess I'll be using a medical method that my insurance will cover 100%.

Thank you for the info though!

August 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Awww, you hate it when you hear those stories . Sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted...hopefully Nara is worth it though .

Normally if you can't pay for it they will waive fees just fyi.

August 29th, 2011, 08:03 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the gang!

NFP is best learned with a teacher, but then you're all set. You have all the skills you need for the rest of your reproductive life; like avoiding pregnancy in whatever situation you find yourself (breastfeeding, perimenopause, cycling normally) or for trying to conceive if/when you decide you want to do that.

Reliability depends on which type of NFP you choose. We use the Billings Ovulation Method because it's 99%.

NFP comes with ZERO risks to your health.

Everything comes with a price tag. Medical contraceptives don't bring the hassle of needing an instructor or taking a course, but the price tag is that they come with serious medical risks. The convenience and effectiveness comes with risks.

NFP requires a teacher or a course. You have to put some time into learning it well. So it's not a quick fix, not as convenient. But the effort is worth it, because you walk away with knowledge about your body that can be used for the rest of your reproductive life. Put in a little time, and you get effectiveness without risks.

All NFP organizations will waive their fees if it's not affordable for you. I believe instruction in the Creighton Model of NFP is covered by some medical insurance companies.
August 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
There are no teachers in a reasonable distance (10 hour one way drive is the closest I've found) that I can find. Is there a free online resource to learn?

August 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Here are all the teaches I can find for Tennessee. All you have to do is let them know you can't afford the fees and they will waive them. If the fees are waived, you'll likely just be asked to cover the cost of materials - around $15-30 depending on the method. To learn online, just email any of the NFP organizations listed in the Resource sticky and let them know you'd like a teacher to work with you that way. They'll assign somebody to you for that purpose.

Billings Ovulation Method Instructors
Christina Heindel
Germantown, Tennessee
cheindel@midsouth.rr.com
Phone: 901-373-1285

Tracy Price
Germantown, Tennessee

Doris Fragale
Memphis, Tennessee
dorisF5794@aol.com

Katie Sauser, Ph.D.
Memphis, Tennessee
ksauser@cbu.edu
Phone: 901-327-0626, 901-373-1285

Mary Pat Van Epps, Director, Dio. of Memphis NFP Ctr
Memphis, Tennessee
marypat.vanepps@cc.cdom.org

Couple to Couple League Classes in Tennessee

Paris, TN
Class 1: Sep 1st, 2011, 6:00 PM
Class 2: Sep 30th, 2011
Class 3: Oct 27th, 2011
Teaching couple: Michael & Carolyn Gore
Register here: https://register.ccli.org/classes/2220/register

Maryville, TN
Class 1: Sep 18th, 2011, 3:00 PM
Class 2: TBD
Class 3: TBD
Teaching Couple: Steve and Colette Souder
Register here: https://register.ccli.org/classes/2624/register

Creighton Model Centers

FertilityCare Services of the Diocese of Knoxville
Chattanooga
Phone: 423-892-4668
e-mail: jphillips-nfp@hotmail.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
FertilityCare Center of West Tennessee
Humboldt, TN
Phone: 731-420-1673
e-mail: rebeccagray@click1.net
----------------------------------------------------------------
FertilityCare Center of Central Arkansas
Hot Springs, AR 71913
Phone: 501-463-4866
e-mail: fccark@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; August 30th, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
August 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
FWW Mary Pat listed above is my instructor and she's amazing!
August 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Good to know!
August 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
None of the teachers listed above are in a reasonable driving distance for me. The closest one is 4 hours one way. I'll e-mail a few and see what they say as far as online stuff goes. Thank you ladies.

August 30th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Let us know how it goes! I know several of us around here learned long distance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search