Hi, and a question

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I am Ashleigh. We are currently WTTC for about another year. I have had the Mirena since my son was born 3 1/2 yrs ago. I haven't really had any problems with it like I did with nearly every other form of BC. I think the horomones may have been a little rough for the first 6 mo to yr but I couldnt tell if it was BC or that I just had a baby.

Im looking into NFP and the options out there. I love the idea of no horomones that are not mine, knowing when to have or avoid sex, and taking back control of this part of myself. My husband is more supportive of the idea than I thought he'd be-I guessed he would want to take every precausion possible until we're ready. But we trust that we can get the hang of it.

Im not really in a position to pay or go to a class. Finances are partly why we are riding out this Mirena. I am wondering if this is something I could start charting and learing while the Mirena is still in place, like a head start maybe? Does anyone have helpful tips on getting started?

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I am in the same boat as you so I am probably not the best source of information, but I am going to try and teach this to myself. lol. I know a lot of the regular NFP and FAM users would probably advise against this, but there aren't any local classes to take where I could learn about how to use the system.

By nature I am a researcher though and have been doing a lot of reading on how to go about it. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a wealth of information. I also watched a couple YouTube videos as well that showed taped classes of the NFP process. This might seem kind of ghetto to some people, though. lol. However I consider myself a pretty bright person and I am picking up on the whole thing pretty quickly. I've only been doing it four days now though, so I don't really have any proof that what I am doing works, but I am pretty confident. *crossing fingers!*

Good luck to you that you find something that works for you!
August 29th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I see youre in Utah too-SLC? Ive been searching for a while for anything local that doesnt seem to cost an arm and a leg. Did you find any sites particularly helpful? I know there has to be more info out there that I am just not coming across. Ive written one email, and plan on more, to see if I can get anyone working as an instructor to give me any direction without wanting $200.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

The synthetic progesterone in the Mirena can affect your signs of fertility (cervical mucus and temperatures). You can start charting, but it would be mostly just for fun. It may not actually tell you very much though. Even when you do ovulate on the Mirena, your cervical mucus won't necessarily tell you that because it's affected by the hormones as well.

As for learning a type of NFP, most of us around here recommend having guidance because many of us have been through the process of trying to learn it by ourselves too. After all, I was a nurse and it seemed pretty simple - so what did I need an instructor for? Heh. Heh. Our version didn't work very well. We worked with an instructor after #2 was born and I was surprised at how much I thought I understood, but didn't. It seems easy in the books, but but translating the theory of it into real life is where the guidance is important. It is possible to teach yourself, it's just harder and takes longer. Having someone guide you through it removes a lot of the confusion out of it, so you can become confident with it much faster.

So we only say that to try and save you the stress we've already been through, since there's a simple way to avoid it!

Almost all NFP organizations will waive their fees, you just have to ask. There are live classes, online courses, instructors who will work with you by phone, email, and Skype. Lots of options! Just bear in mind that when the fee is waived, the instructor will be volunteering several hours of his/her time to help you - so when finances are better, consider making a donation to that organization in appreciation.
August 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thank you Shawna. Thats what I was afraid but figured I'd hear about the Mirena. I'll keep searching online for more resources. I thought this would be more popular in my state than it appears to be. And Ill work on gathering the courage, and humility, to ask to have the fee waived when I find someone/place that may work. I think its a great idea to make a donation later as well, I would definitely do it! Thank you for sharing your experience, too.

August 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Don't be afraid. I've had clients ask for the fee to be waived and it's no problem! The philosophy of the Billings Ovulation Method is that every woman is entitled to the knowledge of her own fertility - regardless of her education level, financial status, etc. I teach because I share that philosophy. I bet any teacher you encounter is teaching for the same reason.

Would you like me to do a quick search and track down all the Utah teachers for you? I've been doing this awhile, I know where to look to make it faster. LOL
August 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Actually, I would really appreciate that! Everything I find brings me back to the same page. The cost was partly what was off putting to my husband but he likes the idea of a donation later too.

August 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Billings Ovulation Method I don't know if the Spanish notation means they teach in Spanish only, but if anyone is near you - you can just call and ask!

Cecilia Fernandez (Spanish)
West Valley City, UT
Cecilia-jaramillo-camarillo@yahoo.com
Phone: 801-949-5938

Maria Cruz Gray (Spanish)
West Valley City, UT
Maria.cruz.gray@dioslc.org
Phone: 801-328-8641 ext. 361

Raul Rivera & Gabriela Manig (Spanish)
West Valley City, UT
Phone: 801-859-6394

Diego and Andreina Payan (Spanish)
Heber City, UT
Phone: 435-671-0848

Rosario Leon Cano (Spanish)
Huntington, UT
Phone: 435-749-1219

Anne Stark (English/Spanish)
Paradise, UT
Phone: 435-797-3859
Email: Anne.Stark@usu.edu

Gerardo and Carmen Cecilia Marrufo (Spanish)
Sandy, UT
Phone: 435-830-9249

Karina Del Castillo (Spanish)
South Jordan, UT
Phone: 801-330-8512

Ramon & Maria Santillan (Spanish)
Taylorsville, UT
mariavi10@yahoo.com
Phone: 801-574-4329

Esperanza & Ricardo Arias
Salt Lake City, UT
801-*‐955-*‐8577

Creighton Model
Intermountain FertilityCare Services
Brigham City, UT 84302
Phone: 801-364-7662 Fax: 801-463-0313

Couple to Couple League
Joan & Steve Lassio
Price, UT
435-*‐637-*‐5911
CCL also has a home study course: Home Study Course

Northwest Family Services
Online course: Natural Family Planning Registration Form
August 30th, 2011, 08:55 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I want to jump in with a little comment, I self taught and practiced for a while fairly successfully, some people might not think that cuz they knew about my oops child...who I adore BTW, but the fact is I knew I ovulated, I just thought I knew things I didn't because I hadn't researched enough. I think you can teach yourself methods, but I think a teacher makes it incredibly easier.

August 31st, 2011, 07:39 AM
Thank you so much for the info. I only found one of those on my own!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search