tacky-stretchy...blobs?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Another question from me. In my post peak phase, I tend to have a sign that's a little...confusing. I get these tiny...blobs, for lack of a better word. When picked up on the finger, they're white or cloudy, and look like little...er..boogers. It'll stretch a couple times, then just glom together, then stretch another time or two. I've always had them post peak, only one or two a day, tops, in otherwise dry or pasty (i have a continous muccos pattern)

They're not very squishable. as a blob, they tend to retain their shape unless I seriously mash them. They're small globs, only about the size of a water droplet.

I've been told I may have low progesterone.

Anyway, my instructor has said very little in the way of help here, and I'm just wondering what your input might be.

Additionally, if we're doing the point of change, it is very different than the stretchy mucous I see during ovulation, but still stretches, sometimes to an inch.
September 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's very normal to have some discharge during the post-Peak phase. It's just from fragments breaking away from the mucus plug that forms in the cervix during that time. The key is that it shouldn't make you feel as wet as pre-Peak, and certainly not lubricated like just before Peak. Whether it stretches or not doesn't actually matter, but I suppose you have to classify it on it's merits for Creighton. It's normal for the post-Peak phase, especially right before AF when the plug in the cervix starts to come out to make way for the bleeding.
September 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Caleb's Mommy!
I have no idea how Creighton would interpret that, but Billings would consider it infertile. Did you say in your previous post that you were using the sympto-thermal method but couldn't because your progesterone levels are too low to create a temp shift?
Due with #2 on July 10

September 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I did, yes. My temps had no discernable pattern. they just leaped all over the place. But my intructor says she only suspects low Prog, not an actual diagnosis yet.I practice Creighton mostly only because well..that's all that's offered here. Or anywhere near here. I'd be interested in learning about Billings though.

I'm not familiar with AF. what's that stand for?

The issue I have that made me worry to start is I don't get much of a wet or lubricated feeling before or during ovulation. stretch is really the only discernable sign I can identify. Thus the fact that these globs stretch often has me abstaning for long periods of time; it was almost two weeks before my husband and I could actualluy be together after the wedding
September 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Caleb's Mommy!
AF stands for Aunt Flo. The Billings method is pretty much the sympto-thermal method minus the thermal part. It's only slightly less effective (less than 1%). This may be too personal to ask, but have you been checked out for any fertility issues, such as poly cystic ovary syndrome? This would give you long periods of seemingly fertile cervical mucus, but no ovulation, which would cause a lack of thermal shift. You may also want to consider some natural remedies to get your cervical mucus up and running so you'll be able to interpret your signs better.

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, so just take my advice with a grain of salt. We used billings for the first couple of months of marriage for birth control, and now we are using the sympto-thermal method to help us conceive. I also have some potential progesterone issues. If you continue to not have fertile cervical mucus (the wet stuff), then you may want to see a doctor about that. It is nearly impossible for sperm to survive more than a few hours without fertile cervical mucus to keep it alive.
Due with #2 on July 10

September 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
My fertile mucous is very...i dunno. it's very...thick. almost never clear. and external checks? impossible, I'm not kidding. during the days I should be ovulating? external checks are dry. 100% dry. even end of the day, bearing down dry. What I find those days during internal checks is thick but very stretchy. Buuut of course my instructor forbids me on pain of death to do internal checks. But I'm sorry Miss, I'm not going to count a day as dry when I'm having what is closest to fertile mucous as i ever get. Well, not ever I should say. Some months I do get some classic egggwhite, but that too, I never see doing external

I haven't, but I've never had a reason to. My cycles are clockwork, exactly the same each time, variance of rarely a day or two.

i do also have spotting 2-3 days after my period ends, if that's any other indication.

Last edited by SyriMoon; September 16th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
September 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Caleb's Mommy!
My period works like clockwork too (have had 28-30 day cycles since I was a teenager), but through all this family planning, I discovered all kinds of potential issues. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing and have you get pregnant, but if your cervical mucus is always dry and you continuously have a dry sensation, there's a good chance you're not ovulating. You can increase your cervical mucus with some OTC suppliments (you'd have to look around about what exactly), but if you're always dry, I would highly suspect that you are having ovulation issues. And the spotting is an indication of a luteal phase defect, that you either have a short luteal phase (meaning you are likely to miscarry) or you didn't ovulate the previous month.
Due with #2 on July 10

September 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
The Billings method is pretty much the sympto-thermal method minus the thermal part. It's only slightly less effective (less than 1%). The Billings method is pretty much the sympto-thermal method minus the thermal part. It's only slightly less effective (less than 1%).
I have to respectfully disagree with this. Billings is an entirely separate system from STM. The way one would monitor CM with Billings is much more in depth and it doesn't focus on the event of ovulation as STM does - it focuses on patterns of fertility and infertility as they happen. The observations are different, the charting is different, the rules are different, the protocols for recognizing infertile discharge is different. It's very different from STM! Effectiveness is 99% and that's been documented and verified with countless studies in the last 50 years.

Before I became an instructor with Billings, we were trained to use STM, Creighton, and Billings. Trying to find the best fit for PCOS! All 3 are very different from each other.
September 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyriMoon View Post
What I find those days during internal checks is thick but very stretchy. Buuut of course my instructor forbids me on pain of death to do internal checks. But I'm sorry Miss, I'm not going to count a day as dry when I'm having what is closest to fertile mucous as i ever get. Well, not ever I should say. Some months I do get some classic egggwhite, but that too, I never see doing external
This is normal. During the infertile parts of the cycle, the mucus actually dries up as it moves from the inside of your body to the outside. It because there are little glands called the Pockets of Shaw just inside the vagina, they actually suck the water out of the mucus as it passes over them. So when you check internally it can make you think you have more fertile days than you actually do, because the mucus hasn't had a chance to dry up yet. If ovulation has passed, this mucus does not indicate fertiltiy. The egg is dead, conception is not possible.

Many women don't notice external mucus. Do you ever notice that you feel wet when you're walking around, even if there's nothing to see on toilet paper with your Creighton observations?
September 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Wowo, I've never been told that before! But, on the days where I notice the largest amounts of mucous, would that still happen? On my highest stretchy mucous days, my external checks are almost..flakycrumbly, a little pasty.

I do sometimes. I've only been charting for 7 months, and only seriously for four, so I'm still learning new things to notice. I tend to feel wet and slick with disrcharge more right before my period though; I know that's normal

I do notice pasty mucous externally, just very rarely fertile. I do know I have had perfectly clear, slick egg white before, but it's not every cycle

Last edited by SyriMoon; September 16th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
September 16th, 2011, 10:54 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have blobs and everything the WHOLE cycle.

September 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Wowo, I've never been told that before! But, on the days where I notice the largest amounts of mucous, would that still happen? On my highest stretchy mucous days, my external checks are almost..flakycrumbly, a little pasty.

I do sometimes. I've only been charting for 7 months, and only seriously for four, so I'm still learning new things to notice. I tend to feel wet and slick with disrcharge more right before my period though; I know that's normal

I do notice pasty mucous externally, just very rarely fertile. I do know I have had perfectly clear, slick egg white before, but it's not every cycle

When you notice those wet feelings while you walk around, that's the mucus! That's how you can tell when you're fertile even if you don't see anything on the toilet paper, or if it only looks flaky/crumbly. If enough mucus can arrive outside the body to make you feel wetness or moisture or lubrication when you walk around, then there's enough for sperm to survive. It is a different way of observing sensation than Creighton teaches.

If you notice clear stretchy mucus *internally* after Peak, nothing would happen. By 4 days after Peak, the egg is dead. Conception is not possible anymore. The only time you would have to classify it as fertile is if you have any doubt about whether Peak really happened or not. Internal checks almost always make things more confusing, rather than more clear. Confusion = more abstinence than necessary and/or higher chance of pregnancy.

I think maybe you and your DH have some thinking to do. If you want to continue with Creighton, it sounds like you're still experiencing a lot of confusion. That's pretty normal, since it's only been 7 months! It's really critical to follow up regularly though! If your current instructor is not being diligent about frequent follow ups, I would ask for someone new to work with you long distance. If the majority of your observations are done internally, then you're not really doing Creighton anyway...the effectiveness for avoiding pregnancy with CrM depends on doing everything very precisely, they way they instruct you.

If you are not satisfied with Creighton, maybe another NFP method would suit you better. Billings is very good for people without a lot of external mucus or with constant mucus, Sympto-Thermal Method is good for people who like to check the cervix internally, with Marquette you would use a ClearBlueFertility Monitor in addition to mucus observations.

Something for you and DH to talk about anyway.

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; September 17th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
September 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I know I'm not truly using Creighton, but as of now, we're doing all we can do. I simply don't trust my external checks. It's rare that I feel anything, ANYTHING at all. If I followed Creighton exactly, external, and followed each rule, there are several months I'd be marking dry and safe during my fertile times.
September 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
I know I'm not truly using Creighton, but as of now, we're doing all we can do. I simply don't trust my external checks. It's rare that I feel anything, ANYTHING at all. If I followed Creighton exactly, external, and followed each rule, there are several months I'd be marking dry and safe during my fertile times.

Me too. That's why we switched to Billings! I noticed a lot of days where I felt "damp" or "wet" but nothing turned up on toilet paper. It took me some time to get used to paying attention to those feelings. I noticed it was a lot more frequently once I started paying attention.

That said, some of those times you notice internal mucus might actually be infertile. It all depends on the timing of the observations, in conjunction with the entire pattern.
September 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I am damp when I'm in my not fertile phase...I'm never dry...I think in the almost year I've been charting right now I've written dry TWICE.

September 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I'm like that too, almost always damp over dry.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search