To the Catholics on the board

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
OK, so I was looking at the NFP page to see if there was something on their wiki like what I posted for the FAM ladies, and there really wasn't, but I found something I found a little...well...tell me what you think about THIS:

Dissident and other opposing

See also: Christian views on contraception#Natural Family Planning only or "artificial" methods too?
Some Catholics have indicated significant disagreement with the Church's stance on contraception.[50] The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops issued what many interpreted as a dissenting document, the Winnipeg Statement. In it, the bishops recognized that many Catholics found it "either extremely difficult or even impossible to make their own all elements of this doctrine" (that of Humanae Vitae).[51] Additionally, they reasserted the Catholic principle of primacy of conscience,[51] a principle that they said should be properly interpreted, since they insisted that "a Catholic Christian is not free to form his conscience without consideration of the teaching of the magisterium, in the particular instance exercised by the Holy Father in an encyclical letter".[52] Catholics for a Free Choice claimed in 1998 that 96% of U.S. Catholic women had used contraceptives at some point in their lives and that 72% of Catholics believed that one could be a good Catholic without obeying the Church's teaching on birth control.[53] According to a nationwide poll of 2,242 U.S. adults surveyed online in September 2005 by Harris Interactive, 90% of Catholics supported the use of birth control/contraceptives.[54] Use of natural family planning methods among United States Catholics purportedly is low, although the number cannot be known with certainty. In 2002, 24% of the U.S. population identified as Catholic.[22] But of sexually active Americans avoiding pregnancy, only 1.5% were using NFP.[23]

October 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This might be a better discussion for Catholic Parenting, since it pertains more to the religious aspect of NFP from a Catholic perspecitve. There are lots of non-Catholic couples who use NFP.

That said, the Canadian Catholic Bishops never outright said that contraception was permissible in the Winnipeg Statement. When you read the Winnipeg Statement, you'll see that it's worded very vaguely. This is why the letter was easily interpreted as dissedent. It's very open to interpretation because it's so vague and lacks a clear/concise position.

To commemorate the 40th Anniversary of Humanae Vitae, the Canadian Catholic Bishops wrote a new statement "Liberating Potential" to clear up any misunderstanding about what was outlined or implied by the Winnipeg Statement. The statement is very clear! http://www.cccb.ca/site/images/stori...e_vitae_en.pdf

When it comes to polls, I think it's important to look at the numbers in context. So 24% of Americans identify themselves as "Catholic" - but how many actually attend Mass on a regular basis? Many of those are probably people who haven't set foot in a Catholic Church in decades.

What I would like to see is a poll done to see how many practicing Catholics use NFP. I think it would be a more accurate percentage. And I'd like to see it broken down by age too. I think the younger active Catholics are much more faithful in this area than our parents generation was.

Of those who aren't practicing their faith in any area of their life anyway, I certainly wouldn't expect NFP to be the exception!
October 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I thought about posting it over there instead, but then I remembered when I did the NFP vs. FAM thing once recently almost 100% of our NFP ladies were Catholic. So I decided to post it here.

The wiki about NFP is mostly about the church IMO...I thought that was kind of weird actually.

And I agree with the practicing thing, but that poll is how I feel, like that's who I run into...people that may agree with the church, but don't actually practice anyway on that, but still go to Mass and everything.

October 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately, many Catholics feel that if enough people 'agree' on something then it justifies disobedience to the Church. This is ultimately how other denominations evolved...people found fault with certain aspects of the truth and decided to create an alternative set of beliefs that they could live with. Of course, Catholic teachings are 'extremely difficult and hard to follow'. They involve sacrifice and faith in that which we don't understand. I would not doubt at all their figures about Catholic women using ABC at some point in their lives.... However, I completely agree with Shawna that if practicing Catholics were polled the numbers would be very different. So many parishes are liberal and don't deal with the 'hard' aspects of our faith. Many priests choose to adopt a 'don't ask, don't tell' approach to some of the more unpopular aspects of our beliefs. This is really a disservice to their parishoners who look to them for knowledge and understanding of our faith.

When we went through pre-cana, our priest was aware that I was on the pill and I was never instructed or informed that it was contrary to our faith. Growing up, I never heard a homily about NFP or ABC. I truly did not even know what the Catholic belief was much less why it was important. When I moved to a more conservative parish and became aware of the truth, I was actually angry that no one ever told me. I felt that my former priest had 'let me down' spiritually. The pressures of the secular world have certainly affected how our church leaders handle NFP and ABC.

OK...off my soap box.... ;-)

Thank you to Natasha for my incredible siggie!

October 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
It isn't a soap box though, it is a true fact. I came to the decision birth control was wrong in high school when people started taking it. It upset me. I couldn't even explain why then, it's easier now, though still sometimes what is in my brain can't come out. I told my dance team one day and one girl said to me "I've never understood that religious belief." And I said "It isn't a religious belief, it is just my belief." I was already a Catholic, but they had failed me, I didn't even know we were anti-birth control and I was already a junior in high school, 16, many of my friends were already Confirmed, and I had gone to religious ed as a kid or Catholic school...so they just didn't tell us.

Her comment about religious belief is actually how I found out we were anti-birth control...I looked into it because of what she said.

Luckily having come around to why I didn't agree with birth control without the church actually makes my belief in not using it all that much stronger with the church.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search