Help needed

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hi, I have a question, and I'm hoping some of you NFP experts may have an answer for me. I have used NFP for years, and have 2 boys (6 & 3) that were conceived on the first try. My husband and I are currently really stressed out because we can't decide if we should have another baby. We have a million reasons to have another, and a million reasons not to. We decided that the decision is too big for us to make on our own, and we'd like to let the universe decide. That said, we aren't sure when to time it. I have exactly 28 day cycles, and always ovulate on the same day each cycle. I'm afraid if we try on or before the day I O, the odds will be higher than 50/50, and will therefore be a choice to TTC. But if we avoid for my whole fertile period, obviously the odds will be way less than 50/50. I know that theoretically, we only have a 20% chance to conceive even if it's a well timed attempt, but this is so not consistent with my experiences, and those of my friends/family. I'm thinking that 3 days before might be about 50/50 odds?

Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Kris
October 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess just DTD whenever you're in the mood and let the chips fall where they may. Don't DTD for the purpose of conception, just do it cause you feel like it.

October 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I'd just go w/ how you feel. Jump when you feel like it Although if it were me I would be like "OH MY GOSH, I'm fertile, if we dtd I could get pregnant"
October 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, I'm no help. This is really only something you and DH decide. There's nothing wrong with just enjoying each other whenever you feel like it and whatever happens, happens!
October 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I would just enjoy it and if it happens it happens

October 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I think we enjoy it a little to much, haha. If we were just enjoying it whenever we want, I think our chances would be like 90%! Does anyone buy that the chances are really only 20% even if timed right? That is just not my experience. And everyone I know that uses nfp gets preg the first try. At least when we were in our 20's. Now I'm 32, so maybe it won't happen as quickly?

Thanks for your responses . I like the idea of just not restricting, and maybe I just wouldn't chart next month, so it would feel more random, and not like we were ttc. I'm still thinking 3 days pre-O might be close to 50/50 odds. We have about 12 days to decide...
October 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Yup totally buy it since this is my 4th month of trying in my 30s. When I was 27 it only took one month of timing it perfectly.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

October 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Originally Posted by robswifey View Post
I think we enjoy it a little to much, haha. If we were just enjoying it whenever we want, I think our chances would be like 90%! Does anyone buy that the chances are really only 20% even if timed right? That is just not my experience. And everyone I know that uses nfp gets preg the first try. At least when we were in our 20's. Now I'm 32, so maybe it won't happen as quickly?

Thanks for your responses . I like the idea of just not restricting, and maybe I just wouldn't chart next month, so it would feel more random, and not like we were ttc. I'm still thinking 3 days pre-O might be close to 50/50 odds. We have about 12 days to decide...
That whole 20% thing doesn't ring true from my experience either. They take an average of all couples to come up with that, and obviously some couples are much more fertile than others...we've never had any issues, 5th pregnancy right now.

October 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Generally speaking, fertility declines in your 30's from what it was in your 20's.
October 16th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
That whole 20% thing doesn't ring true from my experience either. They take an average of all couples to come up with that, and obviously some couples are much more fertile than others...we've never had any issues, 5th pregnancy right now.
Exactly. For every couple that always gets pregnant on their first cycle, there is someone who takes 2 years to get pregnant each time. So it's a true statistic, but not true for you!

November 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
Generally speaking, fertility declines in your 30's from what it was in your 20's.
Good, maybe that means if we make a mistake sometime we won't have another baby, cuz I am SO done with the first trimester, 3 more weeks of it and then I never want to visit it again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search