Question, new to this, when do you trust it?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Twin Mama
I am looking into getting off BCP and starting FAM with my husband to TTA. BCP are just... sucking. Anyways, I want to know, how long after getting off BCP and getting your period back should you chart before you try going without protection and trusting yourself? My biggest fear is going off BCP, getting my period and charting 1 month and then... oops! I know it's always possible, DH knows this, but I want to do this right if I'm going to do it. Anyone have experience going through this process of off BCP, charting, when did you trust what you were doing? Is it harder with irregular cycles?
October 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Almost all forms of NFP or FAM that I know of recommend abstaining from genital contact for the first month, so that you can really focus on observing your signs before you start TTA with it. It really helps you learn your body without anything else there to make it confusing. You can begin to apply the rules for TTA as soon as you learn your signs of infertility. Learning to make your observations is the first step, understanding what the signs mean for you is the second step.

Having a certified instructor to guide you through it all will really cut down on the confusion and ensure effectiveness during the learning phase and as your body transitions off the BCP. I have very irregular cycles and it was hard when I didn't really understand how to do it all. It got much easier after we worked with an instructor. So I became an instructor myself and have worked with a lot of post-BCP clients. Every transition is unique, but you can learn to tell on any given day whether you're fertile or infertile - so it really doesn't matter how regular or irregular the cycle is. Trust takes time, that's normal! But as you see each cycle come and go, it will build your confidence in it.

Let us know if you have any questions while you learn!
October 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, a personal instructor will be SO helpful and would be the thing I would recommend the most.

I learned NFP after the birth of my 2nd baby....I was breastfeeding so it was pretty hard but I did get it. After my 3rd baby (yup, an oopsie) I got a different instructor who I really connected with and trusted. My 3rd baby is almost 1 now and I still don't *feel* the trust kwim? I still kinda freak out every month but after I get af I'm like, psh, I totally know what I'm doing!

I think it will take time and patience to really get it down. So pick what method you want, get yourself an instructor and start charting!

btw you can learn w/ an instructor face to face, or online! Mine has been completely through email!
October 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Twin Mama
TCOYF does not have any formal instructors right? All I am seeing on the website are a couple videos, which is fine I'm just curious.

I cannot wait to be rid of these pills and get my book and start learning! I have a deep seeded fear that I do not ovulate due to my irregular cycles when I was young. This will clear up that fear hopefully.

I;m going to be annoying with questions, I just know it! LOL I need to calm myself, wait for my book before I ask any more questions.

October 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM
No, TCOYF doesn't offer instruction beyond what you get in the book and website. It does recommend taking some time to know your body though. It will be easier to trust your observations if you do.

Be annoying as you wish. That's what we're here for!
November 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Everybody always says they'll get annoying when they start, don't worry about that

November 8th, 2011, 10:28 PM
It's true, everybody says that!
November 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I came here for the same question. Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search