CD 6 and a question already!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Keakie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
So, I have been charting for less than a week and this is my first cycle post BCP. My non-period ended yesterday morning, and throughout the rest of the day there was no cervical fluid and I recorded it as a 'dry' day. Simple enough?

Today I still *feel* dry, but am seeing a lot of milky/cloudy cervical fluid. It's like my body mostly skipped dry/sticky. Is this just coming-off-bcp weirdness?

On a positive note, I found my cervix this morning.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
June 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
LOL

I'm gonna let Shawna see this and give one of her wicked awesome answers because she gave it to me a while back .

But I don't get a lot of genuinely dry days prior to O.. mine seem to come after. And I only get a sticky day once every cycle or two. I spend most of my time creamy/wet and when I'm fertile It switches to slippery.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
June 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some women never have truly "dry" days. "Dry" means nothing felt, nothing seen. If you feel dry, but see something - then consider it potentially fertile. After you have 3 cycles of charting completed, you can figure out if this observation is your infertile discharge - but for now, err on the side of fertility.
You can record "dry" as the vaginal sensation observation, record "milky" or "cloudy" for the appearance. Do not expect your body to follow a particular mucus pattern that you saw in a textbook. Every woman's fertility is unique to her, and every cycle is unique. Just chart exactly what you observe. Nothing felt/nothing seen is infertile. Anything else is potentially fertile for now. Are you taking a month without genital contact to really master the mucus observations without other fluids to confuse it, or hoping to jump into the guidelines for TTA right away?

It's VERY common after the BCP to have constant infertile discharge. It's because the BCP shrivels up the parts of the cervix where good quality fertile mucus is produced, which increases the production infertile discharge. It's not uncommon to notice changes in your mucus pattern over time, the longer you go without any BCP in your system. For the first while you might have infertile discharge all the time, a short fertile mucus phase, or not much fertile mucus at all. Then as time goes on, the fertile mucus improves and the infertile discharge may decrease. Full recovery of the cervix can take about 18 months.

It's much more confusing to figure it out on your own, so if you're at all open to letting an instructor guide you through it all - I do recommend it! We're here to answer questions too, but it's not quite the same as having step by step guidance and support.
June 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
That makes sense. We probably won't have the self-control to go without any contact but we plan on using condoms very generously for the first few months. I know it isn't ideal, but we're moving and putting the finishing touches on our wedding, and I think we would both lose it if we didn't have that special down time together.

As long as I know it's normal to a) have some weirdness coming off of the pill and b) not to have the exact pattern as TCOYF describes, I feel fine. By those definitions, yesterday was a "dry" day after all and I'll just keep note of everything else I see today.

I'm not sure that I'm an instructor type of person. That sort of voice can go in one ear and out the other for me, because mentally I think I've got it figured out (in reality, I usually have a good idea but my brain tends to gloss over the finer details as not important) and then when I realize I don't, that's when I seek out the help (that was probably given to me the first time around but my brain simply deemed it unimportant back then ). I'm working on that.

Thanks so much!

June 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No problem! Just make sure you chart the times you use a condom as well, since the next's days mucus observations can be obscured by that. It will just take a little longer to sort out what's fertile and what's infertile that way.

Are you using a paper chart from the book, or the charting software that goes with TCOYF? Both are good, because they allow you to record what you feel and what you see!
June 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Will do. That makes sense.

I'm using both right now - initially I was just going to use the paper chart for temperatures (so I could make sure I recorded the temperature soon after I took it - it's on my nightstand) but it's really not difficult to note everything else on it. I also use the TCOYF software.

June 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Aren't we lucky to have Shawna?

June 8th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Absolutely!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search