What's your problem, Attain?!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2012, 06:53 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I'm on cycle 3 post-birth control pills. There's a link to my Attain chart in my signature.

I'm frustrated because the software has been giving me some issues with my coverline, as well as with ovulation period. It's giving me an egg for cd19 based on my OPKs (in reality, I'm thinking O probably fell somewhere between cd19 and early to mid-cd20 based on CM and my temperatures). My CM was different on the morning of cd20 but not dried up yet (it was mostly dried up by the end of the day).

I had what I believe to be a thermal shift on cd20, and there was what appears to be a fallback temp on cd22. I'm still not sure about that one, though, because Attain originally placed my coverline at 97.6, but following TCOYF's guidelines for determining coverline would actually place it at 97.5 - the temp in question was 97.39 and I took it about 40 minutes early, so it's been rounded and then adjusted to 97.5 - I'm not sure whether or not to consider it above the coverline or not based on all of that, but I have it as falling below the coverline on both my paper chart and Attain. Anyway, following the probable fallback day, it bumped my coverline up to 97.9?! and it stayed there even when I applied a 'disturbance' to my higher temp on cd1 (it wasn't disturbed but I wanted to see if that combined with the fallback was what caused the coverline to move). I set it back to 97.6 using the override feature when it didn't go back to normal after my temperature rose again on cd23.

What's frustrating me is that it isn't giving me an egg based on FAM instead of just OPKs. I don't understand why because I've got a (to me) clear shift, my cm dried up eventually and my cervix is low and closed again. It isn't that I have OPKs turned on because in my settings, it ranks lower than FAM and last month, the FAM-determined O overrode the OPK-determined O (it was only a difference in one day, but it did defer to the FAM O because I have that set as the first way to determine ovulation in the settings). If I turn off OPKs now it doesn't give me an O period, and keeps moving my peak day around.

Looking at my chart, am I off-base in assuming I o'd or is Attain just being a PITA for me this month?

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; August 21st, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
August 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Attain uses TCOYF software, which for some reason uses OPKs to trump all other fertility signs. It did that with me a few times, too. It makes no sense to me because TCOYF discourages opk use in the book, so I don't know why they focus so much on it in their software. Anyways, I'd just take the positive opk out and let it fix itself. As for the coverline, you can do an override if you want, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. It doesn't have any kind of statistical value, it's just a visual tool to help you make sense of your chart; to separate pre-o temps from post-o temps. You have a nice thermal shift that corresponds nicely with your CM, so I think you can safely assume you are in the luteal phase
August 21st, 2012, 01:19 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you tinkered with some things since you posted this, because everything looks fine to me when I click on your chart. I agree with the ovulation day it picked, based on everything put together (the CM, the thermal shift, the OPK).

Are you under the impression that charting will tell you the *exact* day of ovulation? Because it doesn't - even you're tracking multiple signs. It just gives us a very close estimate, accurate within a day or two.
August 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
I was mostly concerned because if I set the software to NOT take OPKs into consideration, it doesn't give me *any* ovulation. Does that make more sense? I was just wondering if I thought I o'd because I want that to be the case or if my body just prepared and then didn't actually follow through with it because without the OPKs it doesn't give me an 'o' at all (which didn't happen on cycles 1 or 2 - on those ones, there's an "Ovulation (OPK)" AND an "Ovulation (FAM)" on the calendar.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

August 21st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Twin Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
I was mostly concerned because if I set the software to NOT take OPKs into consideration, it doesn't give me *any* ovulation. Does that make more sense? I was just wondering if I thought I o'd because I want that to be the case or if my body just prepared and then didn't actually follow through with it because without the OPKs it doesn't give me an 'o' at all (which didn't happen on cycles 1 or 2 - on those ones, there's an "Ovulation (OPK)" AND an "Ovulation (FAM)" on the calendar.
I'm with ya sister, its happened (I had EWCM post O and it screwed it al up) and is happening to me. Here's why it's doing that. TCOYF software hates seeing anything above sticky post O, it will mark it as peak day and restart your count, thus removing ovulation. You have creamy CM on CD23... and that ruins it. Just like I have creamy CM on CD19-4dpo, it restarted my dry up count and wont give me an ovulation date. If you set it to temps only, it might spit out an ovulation for you. Otherwise, if the OPK ovulation date is bugging you manually set your CL to 97.5 (or dont it wont matter) and manually set O to CD19 and enjoy the TWW. You ovulated, don't worry, the software is just being obnoxious.

August 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is all just a good reminder that charting websites/apps/software are all just tools. Helpful tools, but not a replacement for having a good understanding of how to interpret your chart yourself! You're right to second guess these funky interpretations!!!
Keakie likes this.
August 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I was going to say the same thing Shawna said... because I think Shawna said it to me at some point At the end of the day, software can't think and interpret, it can only do what it was programed to do. So if all signs confirm O, then don't listen to the software and trust your understanding of charting. Sometimes computers are just dumb.
August 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks ladies! My temp is still high so I'm feeling good about this cycle and am a lot less worried that I never actually O'd.

August 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'm in late to this convo, glad you're feeling better

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search