Update to my pp af confusion

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I went to see the OB on Monday and she thinks that my bleeding is pp af. She said if it wasn't that then it was break through bleeding. However, I'm more inclined to to lean towards af because I'm here on day 5 with pretty decent bleeding that bright. We discussed my options for bc, she suggest the Mirena IUD until I'm ready to have my hysterectomy. I told her that I wanted the hyster asap but she said that I would have to stop bf'n and I'm not willing to do that yet. I really wanted my hyster before I returned to work in the new year, which would mean mid Nov, but I'm not going to wean E just for that. So I figured the next best thing would be to get the IUD (in theory it helps with endo) and get the hyster next summer while I would be on summer break from work.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
My sister is on Mirena for her endo and she loves it! She has had no endo pain (and she has a pretty severe case), and it's the only thing she's ever been on that didn't give her horrible side effects. When we're done having babies I plan on getting one unless they come out with something better between now and then. If it gives you the same results as a hysterectomy, then maybe you won't need surgery at all.

Sorry AF came back so quickly. That really sucks
September 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many breastfeeding Moms get a post partum hormonal bleed around this time, and it's not actually AF yet (even if as heavy and bright as a regular period). Any bleeding up to 56 days PP while fully nursing is infertile; it doesn't mean breastfeeding infertility is over yet.

The growth of endo is triggered by estrogen, but breastfeeding infertility keeps estrogen low naturally. The trouble is, there's no way to predict how long the BFing infertility will last. But you can watch for it to end and take action to prevent the endo as soon as you notice signs of fertiltiy returning (in other words, when estrogen is back in business).

What the Mirena will do is keep estrogen low by providing a steady dose of synthetic progesterone to your system, which has it's own side effects and risks (in addition to the physiological risks of the device itself).

Some things to consider!
September 13th, 2012, 07:00 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
So the occasional pumping won't effect the hormones? I figured since I pump, no bottles yet, all milk gets frozen and I only pump after he feeds, that I might have thrown that logic out the window.

I talked to DH about charting to avoid, which is too nervous to trust but at the same time doesn't think the IUD is all that safe. I don't get the man. He won't trust bc or charting to avoid but doesn't want to really use condoms or have more kids. Leaves us with not having sex as our only option. Which he'll end up complaining about too.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
So the occasional pumping won't effect the hormones? I figured since I pump, no bottles yet, all milk gets frozen and I only pump after he feeds, that I might have thrown that logic out the window.
As long as baby is getting all nourishment from the breast and the pumping is occurring after his feeds, then it's fine. It affects breastfeeding infertility/LAM when you start replacing his nursing sessions with bottled breastmilk. The stimulation from the suckling is what suppresses fertility, so missing out on that stimulation when baby gets a bottle the issue. But if the bottle hasn't been introduced at all, you're covered by LAM with only a 2% chance of pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I talked to DH about charting to avoid, which is too nervous to trust but at the same time doesn't think the IUD is all that safe. I don't get the man. He won't trust bc or charting to avoid but doesn't want to really use condoms or have more kids. Leaves us with not having sex as our only option. Which he'll end up complaining about too.
LOL! This made me giggle.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search