BOM or other ways of tracking O?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By LiamsMother

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Still Trying for #1
I am looking into/trying to learn the Billings Ovulation Method. I have looked at the site and have emailed a couple instructors in my area, over a week ago and I haven't received an answer from anybody yet. I know my O is already over this month because of my CM; it's creamy and drying up. However, I would like to know more about BOM since charting my bbt is honestly a bit stressful.

Anybody have additional info I could use? TIA!

September 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's an online course you can do! You could also just try emailing the BOMA-USA headquarters directly. They can put you in touch with someone who is used to teaching long distance.

Online Billings course: Learn NFP Online | On-line Natural Family Planning course by Marriage Ministries, approved by WOOMB
BOMA-USA: boma-usa@msn.com

If neither of those is an option, I am a BOM Instructor and I also accept online clients occasionally. It's easiest to do this if you have Skype and an account with nfpcharting.com.
September 22nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Still Trying for #1
Thanks for all the information, Shawna!

I did do the course or the presentation on the billings site that you have in your siggy. I don't work out of the house, just babysit my sister in law's kids. Only my DH works out of the house.
I am a little strapped for cash right now though. Is there more to it?

September 22nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
If you feel like everything you read all makes sense to you, then that's the first part of what you need to learn anyway! The second part comes with applying that information to real life, which is where most people get confused!

If you want to just start charting, I'd be happy to go over your BOM chart with you in 2 weeks to make sure you're getting the hang of it all. You can chart with an Excel chart on the computer, a paper chart, or with nfpcharting.com. Pretty sure the first month with nfpcharting is free if you just want to try it out.
September 22nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Still Trying for #1
I feel pretty comfortable with the whole thing since I have been paying attention to my CM all this time as my main indicator of O and I don't use OPKs. Oh, I do have one question, would certain CM be considered "dry"? Like creamy CM, is that considered dry?

That would be awesome if you would go over my chart with me in two weeks I will use excel.

September 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Well, the one thing that might be different if you're not accustomed to it is tracking vaginal sensation - how you feel when you're going about your daily activities, rather than tracking only the CM you can see in the bathroom. FF doesn't include sensation observations at all, so it might be new for you.

"Dry" is when you feel NOTHING (no wetness at all) as you go about your day, and see NOTHING on toilet paper or underwear. If you feel or see anything at all, then you can't put "dry" on the chart. Use one or two words on the chart to describe anything you happened to see.

Now, I have no idea what you've read or haven't read on the website - so to ensure we're on the same page; feel free to read through this:
http://www.woomb.org/learningBOM/B20...nstruction.pdf
September 22nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Still Trying for #1
Thanks so much for clearing that up and for the info, Shawna! I will PM you with my chart in 2 weeks if you would like to see it

September 22nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds good. Feel free to use my email to send the Excel file along: nfplethbridge@hotmail.com
mrsb1029 likes this.
September 24th, 2012, 05:40 AM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
Not to hijack your post, but maybe I should've learned Billings 12 years ago. I learned the Creighton Model which is derived from Billings but it is a lot more meticulous in the codes that it uses. Also, at the time, I had PCOS, so it got even more involved. It took me a year to finally master it. Then I had to go back and learn some more before I got married, a month afterwards, 6 weeks postpartum, and a at least twice a year, I ask her questions about my chart. Creighton is the method that the Lincoln diocese teaches and promotes. Maybe somebody should suggest Billings.
ShawnaCAN likes this.

September 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamsMother View Post
Not to hijack your post, but maybe I should've learned Billings 12 years ago. I learned the Creighton Model which is derived from Billings but it is a lot more meticulous in the codes that it uses. Also, at the time, I had PCOS, so it got even more involved. It took me a year to finally master it. Then I had to go back and learn some more before I got married, a month afterwards, 6 weeks postpartum, and a at least twice a year, I ask her questions about my chart. Creighton is the method that the Lincoln diocese teaches and promotes. Maybe somebody should suggest Billings.
That's kind of odd, most Diocesan offices offer several different NFP options. But maybe because it's so close to the CrM headquarters in Omaha, CrM is just more common around there?

That said, we only did CrM for one year before switching over to Billings. We found it rather complicated and too expensive for long term use. Others love going into so much detail with their charting, and there's nothing wrong with that either! For me, the scrupulous toilet paper exams were too OCD, LOL! With PCOS, my cycles are complicated enough, I didn't need a complicated charting system on top of it! Billings has been so much easier to follow, even when my cycles are mess. It was still critical to learn properly from an instructor, but it's easier to reach the point of being able to use it independently.
September 24th, 2012, 09:23 AM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
Shawna,

I think it's kind of weird that they promote only Creighton. The Omaha Archdiocese offers both Creighton and Sympto-Thermal. I don't know why the Lincoln diocese is so set on Creighton.

September 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
That's kinda funny actually! Maybe whoever works in the Family Life Office is affiliated with CrM or something!!! LOL

My DH and I do the NFP presentation at our local marriage prep. I teach Billings, but we give information out about all the methods (2 types of STM, CrM, BOM, Marquette, etc)! Not everyone is going to prefer the same thing! I think it's important to let couples know their options.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search