Woohoo!

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2012, 03:37 AM
baabaamilker's Avatar Veteran
I went back and checked to be sure and it was the first day of the sustained temp rise that showed I ovulated. So since I'm looking back on a finished chart, and since I'm only going based upon the temp rise and nothing else, I had ovulated.

Like you said it was probably too soon to really be able to tell as I'm sure the levels were not that high yet.

October 17th, 2012, 05:36 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Temps rise in a response to progesterone. Ovulation causes a rise in progesterone which causes temps to rise. So you can't ovulate and have a real temp rise without there being a rise in progesterone. So the temp rise you had in that chart was either not at all related to ovulation (maybe you started using another blanket or something), or you are having a hard time identifying a true thermal shift.

For example, in your current chart, where the crosshairs are placed does show a thermal shift of sorts, but when you look at the big picture, you can see that "thermal shift" isn't a true thermal shift because you don't have three temps above the previous 6, the "shift" is within the same range as your other pre-ovulation temps. Plus the thermal shift doesn't correspond with your cervical mucus. If your next two temps stay above 97.3, I'd move your crosshairs to CD16 and 97.3.
HeartHelloKitty likes this.
October 17th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Well, that would surely shorten my luteal phase if that was the case. I went back and looked at my last five charts (including my current one). All of them have the first three to four temps of the sustained rise as being around 97.2 or 97.1 Also it seems that even if I don't fiddle with fertility friend, and just let the software choose it has consistently chosen my coverline as 96.9 or 97.0. I also looked at a few charts that I managed to temp from beginning to end back in 2010 it was the same with the first few sustained temps and the coverline.

One thing I'm learning about my mucus is that stretchy does not mean fertile for me. I have a variety of stretchy mucus sometimes well before ovulation (based upon thermal shift) and seemingly consistently afterwards that is quite stretchy. Some of this stuff is up to six inches long. Most of the time it is snotty in appearance though, not egg white like I get closer to ovulation. I've struggled with what to record this as. On my write in chart I record it exactly for what it is, even making mention of how much it stretches and its exact appearance. However, on fertility friend I don't know if I should record it as sticky or creamy, as the stretchy stuff can be accompanied by either sticky or creamy mucus. Another thing that I notice is that my egg white changes consistency, and this may be where I'm making a mistake in recording it. It seems that I have either a more liquidy egg white, but still stretches and inch or more, or a more firm/stickier egg white. It seems like when the egg white starts it is more liquidy, then the firm/sticky egg white, then back to the liquidy type. Any insight on what is going on with that? This may be where I'm recording more egg white days than I need (if the liquid is is not actually fertile), or less than I should (days when I'm thinking this is impossible for this stuff to still be going on). However, I do notice a definite change from Egg white, either clear, or streaked with white, and the snotty stuff I mentioned before.

I'm still learning. At least right now I am able to view my mucus without the possible confusion of semen being present.

Someone mentioned going back to what we were doing before that seemed to obviously have worked for us. I got to thinking about it and looking at my charts. I remembered we were almost always consistent with having intercourse every other day throughout the entire cycle (and of course we never gave much thought to trying to get pregnant). As hubby and I are getting a little older we've naturally slowed down. I also remember rlh27 mentioning having intercourse after the temp rise and that working for her. So I looked at our charts for this year and saw that once I thought the chance was over we took a break. Who knows maybe this is has something to do with it, maybe not. We can certainly give it a try.

Oh, and I also thought some more on what another person said about the possibility of the tests we are using detecting lower HCG than what the package says. That certainly sounds feasible enough to me. So as soon as DH gets back (before any intercourse if he comes home before ovulation) I'm going to have him run another blood test. If that one comes out positive I'll know for sure that the test is just extra sensitive to my regular level of HCG. Which of course would mean what you all have said all along, there were no pregnancies. That will actually be a bit of a relief. A relief to think that maybe things are working just fine actually.

We have already ruled out the possibility of the procedure and the tests being bad by running one on my husbands blood. It was negative. Besides the same test in urine was always negative for me as well.

That's where I am right now. Trying to pay attention and learn from my mucus but not trying to pay so much attention that it drives me mad.

Last edited by baabaamilker; October 17th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
October 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
One more thing. Since PMS might actually be something I'm experiencing now, and it is new to me I have some questions about it. First of all is it normal to experience PMS directly after ovulation or only closer to the start of AF? What about between AF and ovulation?

Has anyone ever experienced weak extremities as part of PMS? I mean like wobbly feeling legs when going down stairs. Do folks get extreme exhaustion as part of PMS? I know everyone probably has their own idea of what extreme exhaustion is. I'm thinking of exhaustion as completely out of the ordinary having to drag yourself around to accomplish chores, and crashing for a nap every day. Do people who experience PMS normally also have heavy bleeding?

I know I've read some about bloating during PMS is this always accompanied by gas or can it just be a feeling of a growing belly without feeling gas?

Just throw me a list of things that you all might experience with PMS. This is so new to me. The only thing I ever thought PMS was is a woman who cries uncontrollably around the time she starts AF. I've never even experienced a small part of that.

October 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be helpful for you to take a course on the sympto-thermal method of NFP. Maybe see if the Couple to Couple League holds any classes in your area (check their website; That's how I found out about the class in my area). This was immensely helpful to me in learning how to chart and how to record mucus signs, like you are having difficulty with. In my class we learned that wet or slippery sensations always trump mucus. So if you have mucus that appears stretchy but you're not sure if it's fertile, pay attention to how you *feel* while walking around. If you feel wet, like you're "leaking" a bit throughout the day or if you notice an obvious lubricated feeling (even ONCE during the day, as long as it's not related to arousal), always record it as Watery on FF. This is what I do. I record EWCM instead of watery if I also notice stretchiness, but I don't always. Either way, it will record it in green as fertile. If you notice NO wetness or lubricative feeling the entire day and you have this stretchy mucus, I would be inclined to record it as "sticky," especially if it's not clear. If it's EWCM type of stretchy, it will also be slippery and probably clearish. For me anyway, sticky infertile mucus can sometimes be "stringy" that will stretch some, but it's not slippery or clear. So "stretchy" or not, if it's not at least partially clear (like eggwhite), not very slippery or watery like eggwhite, and you had NO lubricative or wet/leaky sensations ALL day, then record sticky. So wet/lubricative sensations always trump mucus and make that day fertile, BUT if you have no watery/lubricative sensations that you notice and you see stretchy/clear or watery mucus, then record that as watery or EWCM, whichever seems more appropriate.

Hope that helps.

I would never move your crosshairs for a while and see how it turns out. I think you are confusing the matter by moving it.

PMS varies from person to person. You might be more tired, especially right before your period. I do get PMS symptoms right after I ovulate. I start feeling irritable, increased appetite & thirst, bloated, generally feel "ugly," emotional, crave sugar & chocolate, etc. It lasts the whole luteal phase for me, but becomes most obvious the few days before my period. I'm often very tired before my period (not wobbly going down stairs, though).

[/url]

October 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Thank you for the information. I'll have to sit and go over and over it again so it will lodge. I think that what I do understand of it from reading through just once will be helpful. Am I only looking for the lube sensation while walking or also when wiping?

Since I'm in Germany I know there are no classes here on the sympto thermal method in English. Shawna has given me some internet addresses of places I can take the classes online, so I have those saved. I'm struggling with whether or not I want to take the classes online as I would much rather prefer to take the classes in person. I only have a year left here and then I'll be able to look up a place to take the classes back in the states.

October 18th, 2012, 12:00 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you notice definite slippery sensation while wiping, too, definitely log it on FF was watery or EWCM. I always record it as watery unless I have obvious tangible mucus. A lot of times it's not real tangible for me and it more of a "leaky" feeling or slippery feeling, but I don't have gobs or anything to stretch. lol It took me a while to get the hang of that because there is a lot of talk about the stretchy factor. But you can definitely be having very fertile mucus without anything to grab hold of and stretch.

I would take the class online, if it were me, and then follow-up with the class in person later on. I think it would help you a lot.

Also, you should be recording only mucus that is present at the vulva and not what might turn up while checking your cervix (if you do).

[/url]

October 19th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I didn't do any cervical checks this cycle. I do find that swiping the vulva with my fingers gives me a better idea of what my mucus is like. On the toilet paper if it's anything but snotty or EWCM it just absorbs right into the toilet paper and I can't make much sense of what it was.

Thanks for your info. I know I'll be back several times to read over it.

I have no doubt that some classes would be helpful. I'll check them out again and see if it is something we can do right now. Since we only have a year left we are in the process of cutting back and saving for our return trip which will be here all too quick.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search