I think I ovulated! woo hoo

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure if FF will mark O on CD 24 or 25. My bbt started to rise yesterday and today it continued on that steep slope and shot up to above all my other temps.

It's about time, after like 10 days of fertile mucus!

However, we risked it TWICE this cycle and we are so absurdly terrible at not breaking the rules, I'm thinking about using the Duggar Method instead because I hear it requires less abstinence. Just a disclaimer that I might find out I'm pregnant in 2 weeks because I know I've said we were avoiding but...

[/url]

October 15th, 2012, 06:48 AM
(I have also been struggling with the fact that the Catholic Church says we need a "grave reason" to even use NFP to avoid pregnancy. And I haven't been able to study enough about what "grave" means yet to know what the criteria would be to have "grave reason." Point being, I think we have "serious reason" but I don't know about what the CC considers "grave reason" so I haven't been fully convinced we are even doing the right thing in TTA. Hence it's hard to abstain, when we aren't 100% committed, and I'm also much more interested around O time. So, basically, what I'm trying to say is... I'm pregnant. j/k)

[/url]

October 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*snort* The Duggar method. Love it! LOL

As for "grave" reason, this is one of the best explanations for that particular misconception about NFP and the Catholic faith:
Why doesn’t the Church just make a list? « I have to sit down
October 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Shawna,

I just read this the other day! That's funny. I actually sent the whole article to my friend and he said it was basically a bunch of hogwash because the author makes it out like "grave" is totally relative. He said to read the approved literature and manuals to learn what "grave" actually means as a Catholic theological term. Of course, we are very new Catholics and I have no idea what "manuals" he's talking about. I haven't asked him.

I definitely agree with the author that 1) we need to be really careful about judging other Catholic's reasons for using NFP to avoid because we don't know everything about their life, nor is it our business, and 2) the Church can't make a list of every grave reason because the details vary too much.

However, it does seem like we should be able to find out what "grave" means (more than just 'serious'). My friend says this is a technical term. But even if we did, I don't know if that would tell us what a grave reason would be *to avoid pregnancy* in particular. For instance, we know we have a grave duty to feed someone who is starving, if possible. But having that example of "grave" doesn't tell me what "grave reason" would be to avoid pregnancy. Even when you talk about threat to life, it gets very complicated. How much of a threat? How big of a risk? Do you have to *know* beyond a reasonable doubt that you will die or the baby will die if you get pregnant? What if you will just be a high-risk pregnancy because of one factor? What if you have high-risk factors, but you will have good medical care? Do we need a "grave reason" to just space children out a couple years or more?

If I get pregnant I will actually be a high-risk pregnancy on 3 accounts: 1) I will almost certainly have gestational diabetes again (enough to require meds, too), 2) I had a c-section last time, 3) I'm a grande-multi para (had 4 or more kids). In a few years, I will have another risk factor because I'll be 35. But I can't see the future. I might be able to have 5 more kids and all will be peachy! So you see what I mean about theoretical risk. How do you go about determining when the risk is so much that it becomes "grave"?

Me confused. I just don't want to be living in sin because we are using NFP to avoid when we don't actually have a grave reason. Knowing the criteria would be helpful, ya know?

Let me know if you happen to know what "manuals" he's talking about, and which ones would be relevant to this question.

[/url]

October 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM
It sounds like your friend is trying to be "more Catholic than the Pope" and interpret this particular area of Church teaching more strictly than even the Church does. Have more to say, but on my iphone. Will come back to this.
October 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM
If you don't mind, I'm going to go expand on this over at Catholic Parenting. It's more of a Catholic topic than an NFP topic; though they are obviously related!
October 17th, 2012, 05:12 PM
OK, sure!

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search