Temping when kids get up at night

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TaraJo29

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2012, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How the heck do you use NFP when you never get a full night's sleep?? It's so frustrating. I never know exactly when I O because I'm always getting woken up a few hours before normal temping time. Any tips?
December 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use (and I teach) the Billings Ovulation Method of NFP, which doesn't require temperature taking - so that takes care of that. Other methods of NFP that don't include temping are the Creighton Model and the Marquette Model.

That said, I'm pretty sure instructors who teach temping methods just recommend taking your temp as close to the same time every morning as you can, but don't stress out if your sleep is frequently disturbed. You should still be able to see an overall thermal shift when it happens.
December 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm afraid to use a CM method because I get EWCM after dry days which is how we got DD#1. We DTD on CD 10, ovulated on CD 14 and still got pregnant.
December 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Was CD 10 absolutely dry (no CM felt or seen) and the 3 days prior? It's easy to miss fertile days just going by visible EWCM, the vaginal sensation can change a few days before the EWCM shows up. Sperm can live up to 5 days if intercourse occurs while there is any CM felt or seen.

Do you have an NFP instructor who can give you some support with post partum temping?
December 2nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my daughter is 3.5 and my other daughter is almost 2 I have only read TCOYF, never taken a class or anything. Back when I got pg with her I was never dry. I was always either creamy, sticky, or EWCM. Now I have dry days but then it's just bam EWCM, then sticky then dry.
December 2nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ah gotcha. Have you considered a class? TCOYF is a great jumping off point, but it doesn't quite get into enough detail for the more challenging situations - like post partum charting. Many women don't have dry days, but that usually means some of their continuous mucus is actually infertile discharge. It just takes getting some support from an instructor to figure out which is which, since every woman is unique!
December 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree on taking a class, and in the meantime, I recommend the Couple to Couple League's book called "Postpartum Student Guide." You can find it on the CCL website and goes over the specific rules & how-to's for the patches of mucus that come and go.

I also read an article (given to me by my NFP instructor) that said our bbt is pretty steady even with waking up with kids and such as long as you take it before 7 am (I think? Of course it would be nice if I could remember it was 7 for sure). Point being, it's pretty steady and doesn't change much whether you get up in the night or not, until a certain point in the morning. So if you take it when you wake up whether it's 6 or 7, just take it then, even if the kids go to sleep again & you can go back to bed and sleep until 9. I have also found this to be true with me. Even if I get out of bed for something, I try to lay back down and relax and take my temp and it always makes sense. It doesn't seem to disturb my bbt much unless I'm up and active for a bit or it gets past 8 am, then it will start rising slowly. So if I take it at 8 am every day and then take it at 9, it will probably be "falsely high" on the day I took it at 9. But if it's 6 or 7, or even 4 AM, there isn't a significant difference.
Adrienne214 likes this.

[/url]

December 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I am never ever dry. I maybe put that on my chart every once in a while (and that is SUPER rare), but it means "almost dry" when I do it. And I've been using BOM for a while, it takes some getting used to because it makes me think "OK, today I feel different than yesterday, but I don't have another word to describe it." Eventually though you kind of get a feel for what is really needed to be said.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search