LAM after baby?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM
grizzy's Avatar Member
I decided to chart using LAM after the baby to avoid pregnancy and EBF. The only thing I'm concerned with is taking my temps accurately with a NB and waking up all night to do feedings. I know I need at least three hours of sleep so it gives time to let my temp drop but, how do I juggle that with constant BF? I'm teaching myself the LAM rules to be prepared once the baby comes and start charting.

December 5th, 2012, 09:20 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You've got a few options. First, there are several types of Natural Family Planning that don't require temping at all and they are just as accurate. Temps will only tell once the first post partum ovulation has passed, but it won't do anything to let you know when you're fertile or infertile along the way. We'll use the Billings Ovulation Method once LAM is over for me. I'm charting to establish my PP Basic Infertile Pattern right now, just no need to follow any rules yet because I still qualify for LAM. Billings requires tracking mucus only.

If you do want to do a temperature taking method, just do your best to take it around the same time every morning - even if your sleep is disturbed. The chart will look bouncy, but you should still see an overall shift when it happens.

And welcome!

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; December 5th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
December 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM
grizzy's Avatar Member
Thank so much, the Billings Method makes so much sense also combined with the LAM. Considering I'll mostly view my CM to tell if my fertility has returned or any spotting than I would rather go with that instead. I know I will only need to really worry about temps once I have my first O jump but if my temps are a little off that's fine in the mean time... goodness, this helps out big time I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it right since this will be my first child and LAM attempt. I know in the beginning as I was reading once again in TCOYF, I will need to do the BIP before anything else and than go from there.

Thank you again!

December 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM
No problem! Let us know if you need any help getting started with Billings. It's quite different than what you'll learn from TCOYF.
December 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
grizzy's Avatar Member
I might need help with the Billings Method, if you don't mind. I know about the CM but, I have the temps combined with it to help out not just by itself.

December 5th, 2012, 09:52 PM
There are two ways to learn Billings; either face to face or there's an online course that pairs you up with an instructor by email.

Here is a long list of all the instructors for Texas: BOMA-USA

Here is the online course: Learn NFP Online | On-line Natural Family Planning course by Marriage Ministries, approved worldwide by WOOMB International

There's a charting website and app that I really like too. https://www.nfpcharting.com/
grizzy likes this.
December 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
grizzy's Avatar Member
This is great!! Thank you, I've been trying to look for an instructor locally but, didn't know how to get a hold of one.

December 7th, 2012, 12:29 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I hope you find one you like

December 7th, 2012, 03:45 AM
grizzy's Avatar Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
I hope you find one you like
Thanks, I've decided to do the course online and later meet up with the instructor to get more good tips, help if I don't understand and so forth.. I love charting I just need to find a new way of avoiding pregnancy for next time so I want to try out NFP instead.

December 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
You are very lucky, Texas has a GABILLION instructors! Click on some of the other states just to get a comparison, I think Texas has the most!
December 7th, 2012, 11:15 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzy View Post
Thanks, I've decided to do the course online and later meet up with the instructor to get more good tips, help if I don't understand and so forth.. I love charting I just need to find a new way of avoiding pregnancy for next time so I want to try out NFP instead.
I did my instruction online.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search