Scratching My Head...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ShawnaCAN
  • 1 Post By LJD3Tdance
  • 2 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By sugarloafbaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2013, 10:37 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I don't understand how women who prefer to do things "naturally"- midwife for prenatal care, natural birth, homebirth, etc- why they go to all that trouble to avoid chemicals and pharmaceuticals through their childbearing year and then go get themselves on the mini pill or injections or whatever at their six week pp checkup. You won't drink non-organic milk or eat non-grass-fed-organic meat because of the hormones. But you use hormonal contraception?

Oh, I suppose I should say this isn't in reference to any conversations I've had here on JM, but topics I've been reading through on another couple of forums.

Stuff like that just makes me want to type in all caps, LOL!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 4th, 2013, 12:03 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't get it either! Worried about the hormones in meat, but totally ok with synthetic hormonal contraceptives that are verified carcinogens??? Can't wrap my head around it.

But then, if tobacco and combined oral contraceptives get the same carcinogenic ranking from the World Health Organization - why do cigarette packs require health advisory warnings, but pill packs don't??? If smokers have to face images of rotting lungs every time they purchase cigs, women should see pictures of a scarred chest after double mastectomy on their pill packs!

I guess the reality of these things take time to catch on. I mean, the cigarette/lung cancer connection took decades for the public to accept.
jhmomofmany likes this.
February 5th, 2013, 12:56 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I don't get birth control in general I don't think. Women complain about all sorts of things but aren't willing to discuss ideas to avoid them. I guess it is just easier. I'm not sure if it is easier on them with all they seem to complain about though...having never been on bc I don't know what I'd feel about it all.

February 7th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Birth control is easy to understand for as long as someone could properly educate you about the pros and cons of the different methods.

With regards to organic diet, I personally chose not to take any chemical based meal or supplements during my pregnancy to protect the baby and not for my own benefit. I guess most mothers chose to stay away from anything that is non organic mainly because of the baby. After they gave birth, (provided that they are not breastfeeding) they can choose whichever birth control they want since the baby won't be directly affected anymore.
February 8th, 2013, 10:16 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
Birth control is easy to understand for as long as someone could properly educate you about the pros and cons of the different methods
The pill, for one example:

Pros: You can (probably) have sex and not get pregnant. You can also mask any underlying medical conditions by forcing your body into an artificially "regular" cycle (when taken for theraputic reasons).

Cons: nausea, weight gain, sore or swollen breasts, decreased libido, mood changes, depression, abnormal bleeding, abdominal pain, chest pain, migraines, blurred vision, swelling of the legs, blood clots, hypertension, and increased risk of stroke, heart attack, and breast or cervical cancer.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 11th, 2013, 12:26 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Yep still not understanding,
jhmomofmany likes this.

February 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Now that I am educated on these things, I don't understand it either.
jhmomofmany and LJD3Tdance like this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
totally baffles me as well!
LJD3Tdance likes this.
February 14th, 2013, 02:15 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I don't understand it either, I did the pill when I was younger like a teen and wasn't really educated on things. I stopped taking the pill in 2004 and got pregnant with my first right after I stopped taking it. I didn't want to go back on the pill after our 2nd child and tried Depo(worst mistake ever) I ended up having fertility issues and recurrent losses when we started trying after depo. From that moment on I realized I would never use or trust birth control again!

February 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eh. I was fully aware of the different contraceptive methods before I started them at 19. I am the kind of person who reads the entire informational packet and also googles for more info.

I was on the pill while my husband and I were dating and it was fine. I was on the ring for a couple months around our wedding, and it made me very moody, so I stopped.

I've been charting for 6 years. I love it, I love knowing about my body. I'm proof that people with extremely irregular cycles can chart successfully. In fact, it let me know when my period was coming, which I NEVER used to know before (PCOS.)

But after this baby I think we're done and I'm thinking the most logical birth control choice for us will be the Mirena.

Most of our friends - the husbands will be getting vasectomies when they're done having children, but my DH isn't really comfortable with that, which is fine. I don't want a tubal, so...

When we are done, we are DONE. How many surprise pregnancies did I see hanging out on this board the time I did? Of course they were never called surprise pregnancies, but in the roll call for the month the mom would have answered TTA. They are fine with that, and that's great, but I am not fine with that. I want something that gives me the best chance of being "done" successfully. Not in ideal, perfect use, but in actual practice.

I've been "perfect" in my charting for about 6 years. I can't sustain it for 20 more!

The potential side effects are worth it to me.

I think a lot of it comes from people for whom this is a religious choice. Since hormonal birth control isn't an option for them anyway, they have no desire or motivation to understand the reasons someone not religious would choose differently from them. It's easier to just dismiss them as uneducated or hypocritical.

And I chose a midwife and homebirth the first time. Going for a natural hospital VBAC this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search