free symto-thermal FAM training?

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
geo-geek
I finally told DH that I was going to get off of BC. I am done. He decieded to finally support me in this. DH and I don't have money to give anyone and we are moving to Utah I was wondering if any of you girls knew of a teacher for FAM sympto-thermal method? I know that with my illness I need training to make it better and more reliable for us. Thank you.
April 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I just wanted to say, I am glad your DH is supporting you on this, and I hope you can find an instructor

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

April 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You've got a few options:

For Sympto Thermal NFP:

Try Northwest Family Services (www.nwfs.org) or the Couple to Couple League (www.ccli.org). Tell them you can't afford their fees and usually they will waive or reduce them for you. Both have correspondance courses I believe, and the option to learn from a teacher by phone/email.

For Sympto Thermal FAM (just be aware that FAM has a higher pregnancy rate than NFP):

Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler - you can probably get it from your local library, but having your own copy is probably a good idea so you can re-read sections of it as you go along.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to while you're learning, and I'm sure the FAM users will help you along!
April 27th, 2007, 07:56 AM
geo-geek
Thank you. I still have one month to prepare, so if the book doesn't give me enough information I will go to the sources. Thank you for the information. I think that I will be checking in here more often for you to look at my chart...I need to start it up again...my thermometer broke. What time of day do you check for CM and CP? I think I will start out only with CM, but I would like to know.
April 27th, 2007, 08:06 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thank you. I still have one month to prepare, so if the book doesn't give me enough information I will go to the sources. Thank you for the information. I think that I will be checking in here more often for you to look at my chart...I need to start it up again...my thermometer broke. What time of day do you check for CM and CP? I think I will start out only with CM, but I would like to know.[/b]

You pay attention to your mucus all day long - as you're walking around during the day, try to notice what you feel at the vulva. Do you feel wet? Do you feel nothing? Do you feel sticky? Do you feel slippery? Use your own words to describe what you feel. It's weird at first to start paying so much attention to it, but it quickly becomes second nature. Then you can also check the toilet paper when you go to the bathroom to see if there is anything visible there. Also describe it in your own words.

I would reccomend avoiding checking your cervix. It is the least reliable fertility sign, and internal examinations can compromise the accuracy of your mucus observations. Here's why - the mucus goes through important changes as it passes through the vagina over glands called the Pockets of Shaw. When a woman is infertile, the mucus dries up as it passes through the vagina. So, if she were to go looking for it internally she might think she was fertile more than she really was because the mucus hasn't had a chance to go through those important changes.

If you *must* check your cervix, do it at the end of the day after you have made your final mucus observation. Pay attention to the position of the cervix only and disregard any mucus you find internally. The cervix position can fluctuate a lot during the day, due to gravity or a bowel movement or other things - so that might actually just confuse you.

Learn the basics - mucus and temps - and then once you've mastered those, you can try the cervix if it would make you more confident.

If you are planning use mucus only at first, then instead of reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility - I would reccomend reading the Billings Ovulation Method by Dr. Lyn Billings and Ann Westmore. You can also find this at your local library. It will go into a lot more detail for learning your mucus pattern and also has an entire chapter about coming off of hormonal contraception and what to expect.

Best wishes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search