Help please??

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2007, 10:39 AM
craz453's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to craz453
I am an NFP mommy, currently, but right now I do not know what to do. I have 5 babes my last babe was born in Dec 06 and we exclusively breastfeed. I had one cycle in march and have not had one since, I have taking a pg test and it was negative, but without my cycles I do not know how to chart anything and I do not know wether I am back in that bf induced infertlity or not. BTW we use Symto-Thermal method. Can anyone help me?

May 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I teach the Billings Ovulation Method, not STM - but will answer what I can. I know we have a teacher from the Couple to Couple League floating around here, hopefully she can pop in and fill you in on the rest!

Once you have experienced any bleeding, you are no longer in a state of breastfeeding infertility - however, you can still experience some irregularity for awhile. For some, it's irregular until they wean completely. For others, just those first few cycles are irregular and then it seems to even itself out even before they wean.

Charting during the return of fertility can be more confusing than normal, but with a little assistance it can be made far less confusing. Do you have an instructor you could meet with for a little post partum NFP refresher?

The simplest thing you can do at this point is follow this one rule - when you have 4 days in a row which are dry (you FEEL nothing and SEE nothing), you are infertile and can safely use alternating evenings for intercourse as long as you remain dry. Any change you observe, whether the presence of mucus or bleeding - abstain until you have 4 full dry days again, and can go back to using alternating evenings. This can be done no matter where you are in your cycle, no matter where you are in the return of fertility. It depends which form of the Sympto Thermal Method you are using, but I believe the Couple to Couple League calls this the "patch rule". If you own The Art of Natural Family Planning (the CCL textbook), you can read up on that rule. If you are using Northwest Family Services STM, I don't know what the rule is called, but you can likely call them and ask to speak with an instructor.

Many breastfeeding women have vaginal discharge that is similar to mucus, but it's infertile. If that is the case, you will need the assistance of an instructor to properly evaluate what is truly fertile for you and what isn't, so that you can effectively avoid pregnancy without abstaining more than is necessary. With Billings, we call this the Basic Infertile Pattern of Discharge. I believe CCL calls it "background mucus" - also something you can read up on in The Art Of Natural Family Planning if that's the system you are using.

Hope that helps! Welcome to the NFP/FAM board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search