Newbie, charting to prevent

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I have been having a lot of emotions this month. I have been really clingy with Leo lately and all of a sudden have felt a strong sense of not being ready for him not to be my baby. I need the basics on charting to prevent. What is the differences between charting to conceive and charting to prevent? Not sure when I need to start abstaining.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Charting to conceive and charting to avoid are really quite different. The simplest way to learn to chart accurately for avoiding purposes and to learn the rules for avoiding pregnancy is to learn from a certified instructor (take a class or meet with one in person). You can also teach yourself, but it can be much more confusing that way and the rate of pregnancy is higher amoung couples to are self-taught (speaking from experience).

As for when to start abstaining, since each woman is unique and each cycle is unique - the rules for abstinence are applied on a day by day basis, after you have evaluated your fertility for that day. Starting to wait on a certain cycle day every month is "Rhythm" or "Calender" Method thinking. It is pretty unreliable because if ovulation occurs earlier or later than usual, "Rhythm" doesn't account for that. It certainly doesn't do anything for those of us who have irregular cycles.

The simplest form of NFP is to observe what you feel as you go about your daily activities (do you feel nothing, do you feel a wetness, stickiness, lubrication?) and what you happen to see. Jot down the most fertile observation of the day, at the end of the day. Then the following rules apply:

If you feel or see any mucus or discharge, consider it potentially fertile and abstain until you have had 3 full days of dryness again. Then alternating evenings are available as long as you remain dry. This works no matter where you are in your cycle. Any mucus or bleeding which interrupts the dryness, you abstain while it is present and for 3 full days of dryness afterwards. (Some women are never completely dry and may be experiencing an infertile vaginal discharge...a teacher can help you tell what is truly fertile for you, and what isn't!)

Learning to identify your Peak takes some training, but once you can confidently do that - then you can use the Peak Rule. Once Peak is confirmed, you abstain until the 4th day past Peak...and then intercourse is available anytime until menstration begins.

Hope that helps!
June 21st, 2007, 08:40 AM
Julka
Hey Teresa, nice to see you here!

Shawna is the 'NFP guru' here, listen to her I am self taught and we've been postponing pregnancy ever since Natasha was born, so 9 successful months this far. I am very 'irregular' but I am also very consistent and serious about my charting so it's been going great!
June 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
We've actually been able to use the good old fashioned rhythm method in the past without any problems because I used to have a perfect 28 day cycle. I am not super worried about learning from an instructor because both dh and I are open to the possibility of a baby and neither of us would be disappointed if NFP failed. I guess my biggest question is do you just start avoiding when you notice fertile CM or are you supposed to start before then?

Teresa

June 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We've actually been able to use the good old fashioned rhythm method in the past without any problems because I used to have a perfect 28 day cycle. I am not super worried about learning from an instructor because both dh and I are open to the possibility of a baby and neither of us would be disappointed if NFP failed. I guess my biggest question is do you just start avoiding when you notice fertile CM or are you supposed to start before then?

Teresa[/b]

Perfect! Instruction is very important if there are grave reasons to avoid pregnancy or cycles are really irregular, but a situation likes yours is different. Just start abstaining as soon as you notice*any* discharge or mucus, not just the most fertile kind (EWCM). The mucus at the beginning of your fertile phase may not be very clear or slippery, but it can keep sperm alive for up to 5 days until ovulation occurs. Ovulation occurs on the LAST day of slippery mucus, the day after, or up to two days after. Then it can live for 24 hours, so that's why you abstain for the first 3 days after your mucus ends. Does that help?
June 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Quote:

Teresa[/b]

Perfect! Instruction is very important if there are grave reasons to avoid pregnancy or cycles are really irregular, but a situation likes yours is different. Just start abstaining as soon as you notice*any* discharge or mucus, not just the most fertile kind (EWCM). The mucus at the beginning of your fertile phase may not be very clear or slippery, but it can keep sperm alive for up to 5 days until ovulation occurs. Ovulation occurs on the LAST day of slippery mucus, the day after, or up to two days after. Then it can live for 24 hours, so that's why you abstain for the first 3 days after your mucus ends. Does that help?
[/b]
Yep, that helps a lot. Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions.

Teresa

June 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
I just wanted to say welcome

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search