New here and question...

Forum: Natural Family Planning and FAM

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Family Planning and FAM LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! I really want to pursue NFP. I had been on various differnt birth control pills for over a decade, and I am DONE with them. I can't be putting synthetic hormones into me anymore. I need to let my body be. I tried a spermicide once, and only once, and it turns out I am violenty allergic to them. Enough is enough. Natural is the way to go for me.

However, I worry that I am exceptionally fertile. DH and I conceived our DD the very first time we DTD unprotected. Really, the first time. I have been reading quite a bit on the different techniques, and am worried because I pretty much always have CM. Does that mean that I am fertile for a longer period of time than the average person? Does it mean that I would do better to rely on basal temp readings, or should I really concentrate on really identifying the variations in CM throughout the cycle?

I'm not sure what the right approach is. I'm planning on contacting an instructor soon, so hopefully that will help, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you helpful ladies. Thanks!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi everyone! I really want to pursue NFP. I had been on various differnt birth control pills for over a decade, and I am DONE with them. I can't be putting synthetic hormones into me anymore. I need to let my body be. I tried a spermicide once, and only once, and it turns out I am violenty allergic to them. Enough is enough. Natural is the way to go for me.

However, I worry that I am exceptionally fertile. DH and I conceived our DD the very first time we DTD unprotected. Really, the first time. I have been reading quite a bit on the different techniques, and am worried because I pretty much always have CM. Does that mean that I am fertile for a longer period of time than the average person? Does it mean that I would do better to rely on basal temp readings, or should I really concentrate on really identifying the variations in CM throughout the cycle?

I'm not sure what the right approach is. I'm planning on contacting an instructor soon, so hopefully that will help, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you helpful ladies. Thanks![/b]

Welcome! To answer your questions:
I pretty much always have CM. Does that mean that I am fertile for a longer period of time than the average person?
No! It means that you probably have an infertile vaginal discharge during the infertile parts of your cycle and cervical mucus during your time of fertility. When you first start observing, it may just seem like you always have mucus. But after learning about the discharge patterns in more detail, you will learn to identify important changes that occur to alert you to the fact that you have moved from your infertile time into your fertile time. It just takes proper training from an instructor to learn to tell what is fertile and what isn't FOR YOU (cuz each women is unique).

Does it mean that I would do better to rely on basal temp readings, or should I really concentrate on really identifying the variations in CM throughout the cycle?
You can, but it would likely mean more abstinence than is necessary. Without a comprehensive understanding of your mucus pattern, you would only be able to wait around for your temperatures to confirm ovulation and would miss out on the time of infertility early in your cycle. Some Sympto Thermal Methods rely so heavily on the temperature, that they really don't get into a lot of detail with the mucus, just the basics. This creates a little more abstinence than is necessary. If you want to include temps to help build your confidence, go for it - but I would highly reccomend ALSO learning a method of NFP that teaches you to really understand your cervical mucus pattern (such as Billings or Creighton).

Does that help?
June 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you very much for the info! I was worried that I wouldn't have as easy a time as others. Hopefully the instructor will help sorting things out. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
welcome Rosalie

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search